Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I KNOW she can do this! Maybe *I'm* doing it wrong...

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM
  • 22 Replies

banging head into wallI'm talking about potty training.

My DD is 22 months old & is VERY smart. I've been trying to potty train her for about a week now. I've bought her Pull-ups AND "big-girl" panties. She has her own potty. She went poopy once and got praised and a prize! But she won't go anymore!

I try putting her on the potty when she first wakes up (she almost always has a dry diaper). She will sit there for about 10 minutes and not do anything. Then she will get up and go to her room and pee everywhere!! I don't get it!

Also, she can't pull her panties/pull-ups down. Does this mean she's not ready? She KNOWS when she is GOING in her Pull-ups or after she goes and will tell me. So I KNOW she's not stupid lol.

Am *I* doing something wrong? Or what can I do to help her along? I've tried stickers on the calander thing and M&M's but neither one is seeming to do the trick:( PLEASE HELP!!! I'm desperate! I'm trying to get her potty trained or at least ALMOST potty trained by next month bc I don't want 2 in diapers. But I know it takes time. Please...any advice I will consider!!!! Thanks in advance!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Loeffel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM

BUMP!

mamakenzi
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Is next month when you are due?  I'm assuming you are pregnant.  If so, you do realize she will revert to going in her panties after the baby gets there.  Also as my pedi told me, there is a BIG difference in going and needing to go.  To me, it sounds like she isn't ready and you are just going to create more problems by trying to force her.

2MonstersxMommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Ditch the pullups and go full force underwear. No looking back. If you know she can, then she will.

God Bless

Mrs.Loeffel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Quoting mamakenzi:

Is next month when you are due?  I'm assuming you are pregnant.  If so, you do realize she will revert to going in her panties after the baby gets there.  Also as my pedi told me, there is a BIG difference in going and needing to go.  To me, it sounds like she isn't ready and you are just going to create more problems by trying to force her.

why will she revert to going in her panties after baby is here?

Mrs.Loeffel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Quoting 2MonstersxMommy:

Ditch the pullups and go full force underwear. No looking back. If you know she can, then she will.

God Bless

that's what I was thinking too. I think Pull-ups feel too much like diapers. Thanks hun.

Wistful
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

After she pees on herself do you put her on the potty? Put her on the potty and tell her she needs to remember to go pee pee on the potty, big girls pee on the potty, yadda yadda, etc.

Ditch the pull-ups. Put her on the potty every 30-60 mins. If she doesn't go after an x amount of time, give her 10-15 mins and put her back on it. I believe in positive reinforcement, don't get mad just keep reminding her.

What I did with my daughter, I told her 'you don't peepee on the couch (if she was on the couch), don't peepee in the chair/floor, etc.'
At this age, she probably isn't going to 'tell' you or do it on her own, so you have to be the one to take her and convince her to sit til she does her business. I put the potty in the living room and gave her books/coloring books/toys til she went pee. Then gave stickers.

As far as pulling up her panties, my daughter didn't know how when I trained her, but she learned pretty quick!

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

mamakenzi
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Quoting Mrs.Loeffel:

Quoting mamakenzi:

why will she revert to going in her panties after baby is here?

At that age she will see you changing the baby and be jealous of that time you are spending with the baby and potty in her panties.  An addition to the familyis a drastic change for a 23 month old.  I would wait until the baby comes and she how she reacts the the baby and try again when life settles down a bit.

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Join us on Advice for Moms -- Group Mod

hdb
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM
My middle son potty trained 5 days b4 I had my scheduled csection. I was terrified he would regress, but he never did. He was a month past his 3rd bday. I've always taken the stance not to push. It just makes u both frustrated. I would tell him to go try to potty every couple hours, if possible, and reward him when he did and not make a big deal if he didn't. This took a couple months. G/L
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wistful
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Remember, it's called potty TRAINING for a reason. For almost 2 years she hasn't had to worry about going potty.
Reverting back to peeing in her panties could or could not happen I wouldn't let that fear you into training. I also sit in the bathroom with my daughter and sing songs, tell stories. You can do the same after the baby is here and that can be time for just you two.

Mrs.Loeffel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Quoting Wistful:

After she pees on herself do you put her on the potty? Put her on the potty and tell her she needs to remember to go pee pee on the potty, big girls pee on the potty, yadda yadda, etc.

*yep I do this lol

Ditch the pull-ups. Put her on the potty every 30-60 mins. If she doesn't go after an x amount of time, give her 10-15 mins and put her back on it. I believe in positive reinforcement, don't get mad just keep reminding her.

*Great idea!!

What I did with my daughter, I told her 'you don't peepee on the couch (if she was on the couch), don't peepee in the chair/floor, etc.'
At this age, she probably isn't going to 'tell' you or do it on her own, so you have to be the one to take her and convince her to sit til she does her business. I put the potty in the living room and gave her books/coloring books/toys til she went pee. Then gave stickers.

*I so thought about doing that..putting the potty in the living room! That's where she is the most & where she watches tv. She loves to color too so I'm def gonna try this!

As far as pulling up her panties, my daughter didn't know how when I trained her, but she learned pretty quick!

*Awesome! Thank you SO much hun!! I really appreciate the tips! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)