Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some people are such a**holes!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM
  • 23 Replies

My son graduated from Headstart this morning. My son has speech and developmental delays. So he was in a class with all 3 year olds and he was the only 4 year old. So he was the only one to graduate from his class. It felt like they singled him out. They called the kids up to receive their " diplomas" by class. Since my son was the only one from his class, he went up by himself. First they acted like they wasn't going to call his name. Then when they did, they didn't even have a diploma for him. They ended up giving it to him afterward during the reception.I just when and looked on their page on facebook and they put pictures up of ever child, but mine. Then when I got home, my friend told me that when they called him up, the lady in front of us was making fun of my child because he was behind. I didn't hear because when they called him up, I went up front to take pictures.She told me she didn't tell me then because she was afraid that I would have said something to her( I have anger management issues,but I would NOT have acted a fool at my son's graduation,lol). But this really pissed me off. After I got off the phone with her I was crying. It makes me sad that there are people out there like that and he is going to have to deal with this.It hurts because this happens more often than I would expect. People are always staring at him when he tries to speak when we are out in public.Some people even laugh or decide to make a comment.This makes me sick. If you have a special needs child, do you have to deal with this?

And sorry this is one long paragraph.I was just anger and wanted to let it out.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:21 PM

omg if i would have found out i would have totaly thrown her down. that is in no way acceptable behaviour for an adult! im sorry you have such a hard time. my son has speech delays and we still dont understand what he says sometimes. last year before he was evaluated and put in his program mothers used to steer their children away from him at the park becuase he was speaking like them. it was sad and i was pissed and bitched at a couple of them.

okokokokok
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

im sorry to hear that people need to grow up! my son was preemie and 12 lbs at 6 months i already am dealing with stupid people and comments but sounds like she needed to b knocked upside the head

FordMama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

That really sucks!  It seems like he should have been included in the group.  Also, the lady that was making fun of him...what an immature bizzotch!

julie002
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Thats pathetic I do not have a special needs child but I would NEVER be so mean to a child for goodness sakes especially at his graduation. I have anger issues to so if I would have been told that at the graduation I would have found that bitch. I cannot believe that grownups that are setting examples for our child can do that in public and act like its no big deal. I am applaud but I would like to say congratulations  to your little guy for being so brave in such a hateful place.

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM

im sorry

alyssasmommy318
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:30 PM
My daughter has alot of special needs. And is behind in alot of ways. Well some old lady said something to her and long story short - we ended up being banned from a pizza restuarant :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssasmommy318
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:32 PM
My daughter is the only five year old in a three year old room so dont feel bad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidans_mama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM

My son is autistic and just last week I told this woman at his school to not chase or pretend to chase my son cause he will just run into the street, he won't look or stop, he'll just go.  She says that she's sorry, and that she didn't know he was autistic, that he didn't look r*tar*ed.  I was like, what the hell is THAT supposed to mean?  There have been many times where people make stupid comments or question my skills as a parent when dealing with my son.  My son does not speak, out of nowhere he just screams for no apparent reason, or he'll just laugh for no reason, he hops across the room, he throws tantrums, flops to the ground any and everywhere...people stare at him...I get the "he's three and STILL in diapers" bit with the judgmental glares.  I honestly don't know what to do.  I cannot control those comments, I cannot change the ignorant.  It hurts me, but I have to be strong for my son.  Right now, he doesn't fully understand what is being said (he's 3), but one day I hope that he gets a better understanding of what is going on around him, but I don't want to know and understand all the negative things that will be said about him. 

So yes, I have to deal with it...I just don't know how to yet.  The comments still get to me.  I still cry, it still hurts.

canthaveboys1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I deal with this all the time. I know how you feel. I get pissed and sometimes I want to hit them. Sorry they did that to your son.

I can honestly say that unless you have to wear those shoes  you dont know what it is like, but it is really unfortunate that people act that way......especially adults.

canthaveboys1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Tell your son Congrats on his graduation! That is awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)