Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OCD or Normal kid stuff?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DS just turned 3 and he has a case of the "Let ME do its". Which I think seems to be normal kid stuff. The stuff I am worried about is the fact that my son has to "reset" everything. If you go to close a car door or something and my son decides he wants to do it, the door HAS to be reopened all the way in order to close it, god forbid u don't let him do it his way or HUGE tantrum. If u ask him to do something once. For instance take a breadstick to his plate from the kitchen. He either refuses or just ignores you, I simply put it on his plate. Then all of a sudden he changes his mind and won't eat the thing until I go and stand in the exact spot in the kitchen and hand it to him as I orginally intended.

It seems like small stuff but sometimes over the course of a day he has me fufulling some unusual requests and it's getting to be more frequent. Just curious if this is typical toddler behavior for some of you other mommies?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

No clue. here's a bump

MommyOfFive2010
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM

BUMP!

shoegirl01
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM

HA!!  I was going to post about this exact same thing!!!

Yeah, it sucks sooo bad and takes extra long to go.  He wants to put on his socks, and if I do it we have to start over.  He wants his exact pair of "space rocket shoes" (green crocks) and if he gets his basket ball ones (orange crocks) then he will scream until you get them.  He wants to open the door which takes 4 minutes, then open the car door, (DONT YOU DARE TOUCH IT) then he wants to climb up into his car seat while checking every speck of anyting else.  Takes about 15 minutes to get out teh door. 

Yeah, totally normal!!!

shoegirl01
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:38 PM

AND, if  you decide to do it for him (running LATE) he will scream like he just got punched until you open the door and allow him to get out, then get back in himself.

Owensmomma07
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Quoting shoegirl01:

HA!!  I was going to post about this exact same thing!!!

Yeah, it sucks sooo bad and takes extra long to go.  He wants to put on his socks, and if I do it we have to start over.  He wants his exact pair of "space rocket shoes" (green crocks) and if he gets his basket ball ones (orange crocks) then he will scream until you get them.  He wants to open the door which takes 4 minutes, then open the car door, (DONT YOU DARE TOUCH IT) then he wants to climb up into his car seat while checking every speck of anyting else.  Takes about 15 minutes to get out teh door. 

Yeah, totally normal!!!

Oh good! I thought it was just me, lol! I'm glad someone else shares my pain and yes it's the exact same thing, takes 15 just to get out to the car.

shoegirl01
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Oh my gosh.  Lets say he wants to dress like an "Asssssstttooonaut!" then he HAS to have his space rocket shoes, undies, and shirt.  And if he doesn't blast off into his jeans then he is PISSED. 

If he wants to dress like a "blazer" (basketball) then don't even try to sneak in football undies or shirt.   And same with base ball. 

I have to really keep up on my laundry though!!

I've actually been really nervous because I have an aunt who is MAJOR OCD so we where afraid he was displaying symptoms.  But, I'm positive that its just gaining his independence!

CHabegger
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:12 PM

It's fairly normal behavior.  Not every child goes through it, but it is not by any stretch out of the ordinary. :)

xoch86
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM

p,g. my son is the exact same way. no one can leave my house unless he is there to close the door, cause he will get SO upset. HE has to try and open the car door(which he still hasnt been able to do once on his own, which is so frustrating because he is always upet when he gets in the car). and theres more, but the list will go on..

trust me, its normal, haha

zolanmel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM

3 year olds can have some OCD traits . My DD has OCD ..  i just let her do her thing and shes a happy camper!and so am i! lol I rather her redo something line it stack it how she wants it then deal with a  fit for hours.

mamakenzi
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:14 AM

normal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)