• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eczema...My worst nightmare!! READ, READ, PLEASE READ!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM
  • 43 Replies

My so was diagnosed with eczema almost immediately after he was born...he is now 18 months old. I've noticed the older he gets the worse it becomes. Since about January he has had this horrible rash around his mouth. He's been to the doctors multiple times (different ones at that) and the first time I was told it was Impetigo...the next time just eczema...and for the third time (just for kicks and giggles) the doctor told me he had both. All three docs have told me to just moisturize his face...I've been given hydrocortizone (which now I'm being told not to use) and anti-fungal cream, and bactroban. I've also used bacitracin, cetaphil (because he's allergic to eucerin) and the doctors fav...vasaline. I'm at my wits end with this. I need more suggestions on what else to do because I'm making another appointmentwith the pediatrician soon and I'm starting to feel like they don't know what they're talking about! My son woke up today from his nap with raised red bumps around his mouth...I guess he came in contact with something now. I have old pictures if anyone wants to see what I'm dealing with. just go to my page. One is his rash at it's worse and the other is the best that I can clear it up...It's so frustrating!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heybooboo
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM

was he given an oral antibiotic for the impetigo?  Also, did they test for Staph?

Jaye677
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM
I don't know, but if u find something that works let me know, my 3 yr old has been that way since she was born & I keep getting told lotion, lotion, lotion. Well dear doctors, I do lotion her & it doesn't help!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinangels
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM

ok, heres what i did. This was before the no cold medicine for babies thing. benadryl and triple cream.

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I used to babysit a little boy with eczema . . . he'd get rashy after lunch sometimes and it turned out he had a few allergies. 

He used to scratch himself until he bled, poor kid!

But now he's 7 and he's pretty much outgrown the worst of it.

I hope your son feels better soon.  It would be nice if the doctors could figure out a way to give him some relief. 

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

Dayija
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM

No they haven't tested him and I didn't get any antibiotics for the impetigo...I can ask at his next appointment

Quoting heybooboo:

was he given an oral antibiotic for the impetigo?  Also, did they test for Staph?

Dayija
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Quoting Jaye677:

I don't know, but if u find something that works let me know, my 3 yr old has been that way since she was born & I keep getting told lotion, lotion, lotion. Well dear doctors, I do lotion her & it doesn't help!!!

I know exactly what you're talking about...OMG

Dayija
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Quoting lovinangels:

ok, heres what i did. This was before the no cold medicine for babies thing. benadryl and triple cream.

Yes...I am going out to buy benadryl today...He was on Zyrtec before but since they had that recall I haven't put him back on it.

Radarma
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM

You need a dermatologist, and sorry to tell you but eczema has no "cure" and it is all about trial and error.

:(

Dayija
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

I used to babysit a little boy with eczema . . . he'd get rashy after lunch sometimes and it turned out he had a few allergies. 

He used to scratch himself until he bled, poor kid!

But now he's 7 and he's pretty much outgrown the worst of it.

I hope your son feels better soon.  It would be nice if the doctors could figure out a way to give him some relief. 

My son scratches till he bleeds too. We have to cut his nails ALL the time! I hope he grows out of it...His dad has eczema too and it showed up again when he hit his twenty-one or so.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:51 PM

LOL leave it be. Have you tried Gentle Naturals eczema cream. That's all I use on my son. He as diagnosised right after he was born too. It's no a big deal it's just annoying. It's going to itch and might bother him but if it doesn't just leave it be. He may be one of the ones who out grow it. Both of my kids are broken out right now because it's allergy season and all the Gentle Naturals is doing for now is keeping them from scratching any other time it clears it up. Just leave it be. I know it bothers you, hell it bothers me and my youngest has the rash that forms under the neck that I can't get rid of too and it's driving me bonkers. But as long as he's okay and it's not making him self concious leave it alone and watch how it does as the summer goes on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)