Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dry Socket

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok I had a tooth pulled on Friday and got dry socket from it. I was allergic to the antibiotics and puked causing blood clot to dislodge. Now I have dry socket. I went to the dentist this morning to have the socket packed with that yucky clove paste. My question is how long does the packing generally stay in? How long will you taste it? How strong is it? I am afraid to eat because I don't want to wash it out. The dentist said something about 3-5 days but I am not sure if he meant the packing will be there that long or if he said I would taste it that long. Then he said something aobut being 2 weeks to fully heal now. So I am not sure. I have heard different stories. Anyone experienced this?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilGina
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM

not sure but did you get it from smoking?

rpowers12
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM

No I don't smoke. I was allergic to the antibiotics and spent the next day vomiting and we think thats what caused it. I also had a rough time with the tooth coming out the dentist had to do alot of cutting.

mommytoangel407
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Bless your heart.  That is terrible.  I have no experience but wish you the best!

rpowers12
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM

BUMP!

Luvmylilmonkies
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Eeeeeew... nassssstaaaaay. My Gpa was a dentist for 52+ yrs and I worked for him for quite a while. I can't tell you how many times I saw dry socket and it looks soooo painful! I'm so sorry you're going through this! I say stick to a BRAT diet w/ lots of soft foods. No drinking from a straw and no smoking, if you smoke. The packing is supposed to stay in for as long as your mouth will hold it. They say 3-5 days, but it usually comes out in 2-3 days. Just be super-careful b/c it will hurt like the devil if it comes out before then.

rpowers12
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:38 AM

So after day 3 we are good? I am on day 2 now and there seems to be quite a bit still in there. Now after the packing comes out there will be a whole there? How can you keep from getting dry socket again or getting food in there? Will it just close? This is the first time I have had this done.

Quoting Luvmylilmonkies:

Eeeeeew... nassssstaaaaay. My Gpa was a dentist for 52+ yrs and I worked for him for quite a while. I can't tell you how many times I saw dry socket and it looks soooo painful! I'm so sorry you're going through this! I say stick to a BRAT diet w/ lots of soft foods. No drinking from a straw and no smoking, if you smoke. The packing is supposed to stay in for as long as your mouth will hold it. They say 3-5 days, but it usually comes out in 2-3 days. Just be super-careful b/c it will hurt like the devil if it comes out before then.

PrttyMstng
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I am sure you are right about the blood clot becoming dislodged from vomiting.

The dry socket paste will only be needed for 3 to 5 days.

I wonder why the dentist didn't stitch the area since he had such a difficult time extracting the tooth? Stitching the extraction site would have helped in preventing the dry socket. I also wonder why he gave you an antibiotic after the extraction? Usually antibiotics are given a few days before the extraction. The reason an antibiotic is given is to reduce the infection. An infected tooth is acidic and the lidocaine is alkaline - they cancel each other out and it is difficult to numb an infected tooth. Once the tooth is extracted the infection can drain and will not cause any pain. The pain from an infection is caused from not being able to drain - it forms a sac that causes pressure which is the pain that a patient feels.

Many people confuse side effects from medications as drug allergies. An allergy will cause anaphylaxic shock (cause your wind pipe to close so that you cannot breath) or a rash. A side effect will cause stomach cramping, diarrhea, or vomiting. Side effects are common when a medication is taken on an empty stomach.

Wistful
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I got dry sockets after getting my wisdom teeth taken out.
They replaced the guaze once a week for I belive 2 weeks.
I tasted the clove the whole time.
Did they put gauze in the hole? Or just a paste?
It's ok to eat, just be careful you don't eat anything to pull it out, like sticky foods.

rpowers12
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Just paste. He said gauze is not necessary and he only needed to pack it once and it should be fine. Many dentist do things so different. I am sure what I had was a reaction or side effect either way I could not take it. It has been listed on my DO NOT PRESCRIBE LIST. Which I am thankful for. I am not tasting the clove as bad today but its still there for sure. Thats why I am asking does the hole just close and push out any food that would be in there after paste is gone? I dont know how it works. The dentist tried to suture it but it didn't have enough tissue in my gums to get the stitches through.

Gailll
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Vomiting isn't an allergic reaction to antibiotics. You have swelling in your throat, difficulty breathing, or rash. You may have had a side effect or adverse reaction but not an allergic reaction. 

"Antibiotics can also cause allergic reactions. Mild allergic reactions consist of an itchy rash or slight wheezing. Severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) can be life-threatening and usually include swelling of the throat, inability to breathe, and low blood pressure.

Many people tell their doctor that they are allergic to an antibiotic when they have only experienced side effects that are not allergy-related. The distinction is important because people who are allergic to an antibiotic should not be given that drug or an antibiotic closely related to it. However, people who have experienced minor side effects can usually take related drugs or even continue taking the same one."

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec17/ch192/ch192a.html

I'm allergic to 5 classs or groups of antibiotics and several other drugs so I know way too much about allergic reactions to drugs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)