Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When's the last time you moved?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM
  • 35 Replies

We may be moving in a few months.

I haven't moved for 12 years but I remember how much work it is. 

What advice can you give me to survive the move? 

We'll probably have a professional moving company actually move our stuff, but I still have to pack, clean and unpack . . . and before that, I have to sort and purge and clean (SO MUCH CLEANING).  All while working and taking care of four kids . . .

H
E
L
P
!

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:43 PM

we moved last july and might be this july-i hate our property management company as here you dont deal with the actual owners, although i love the house, just wish kitchen was bigger.

tip... get the kids out of the house while you clean and pack! otherwise you will be doing the same things over and over and over again and you'll get no where.

mommytoangel407
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Bless your heart!  I moved 2 years ago and promised myself that I would never do it again!

RiverPhenix
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

We moved in 2008. The only advice I can give you is to make sure everything is done and packed the night before moving day. Have all the appliances by the door so they go first. Take a shower the night before, have your clothes out that you are going to wear that day. That is what saved us. I have helped people move and when I got there they had nothing packed! It was horrible.

chefmartha
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM

We just finished moving. Be sure to make up a box with clean sheets, blankets, towels and toilet paper and pack it in your car. That way you don't have to hunt for those items among all the boxes in your new place. Do a kitchen one too, with coffee/ tea, kool-aid mix for the kids, sugar, plastic silverware, paper plates, paper towels and dish soap for the first day when you get there so that you don't have to hunt for those things either. If your DH is like mine he lives from the coffee pot. Me.... I can do without it.

If you are having a professional company move you, I would also make sure to pack up all my special knick knacks or collectibles myself and put them to the side for you to transport if possible so that they don't gain feet and walk away to someone else's home.

Since we moved ourselves this last time, we left all but three days worth of clothes in the dressers and moved them full. We also were taking our freezer with us and with our move only about 8 hours from where we were, we left everything packed tight in our freezer and strapped the door shut. It was one of the last things loaded and we made sure that it was unloaded right away and plugged back in. It made one less thing I had to empty and pack. I also was able to have food at my new house without having to go shop after a long drive.

ColtsFan1912
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM

about a year & 1/2 ago. We moved from Indiana to California. We left about half our stuff in Indiana with my dad(we plan to move back to Indiana ASAP). my in laws moved us out. my FIL has a huge bum truck so we packed what we could in that & in our car.

Jaimielee317
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

We moved from tacoma, WA over a year ago to Idaho, and Now we are moving back to Tacoma this friday cause my mom is in ICU. in all my life I have moved about 50-60 times! i would say I am a pro at it lol but it still sucks!!

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM

We moved almost 4 years ago,one month EXACTLY before our daughter was born.I was on bedrest so I got out of all the packing,moving,and unpacking,lol.I dread that whole part when we buy our next house!

Jenn8604
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM

when i was prego and i moved out of my sons sperm donors house and we are getting ready to move.

Owl_Feather
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM

we moved to our current home last april. we plan on being here for a long time. we have the same landlords as the last house. we also have a rent-to-own option for this house but like renting for now.

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Quoting mommytoangel407:

Bless your heart!  I moved 2 years ago and promised myself that I would never do it again!

I never expected to move again . . . ACK!

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)