Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ladies, i'm a nervous wreck. dd has a fever! *UPDATE*

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM
  • 16 Replies

i came home from the gym & picked dd up, and she felt warm.  so i took her temp, & it's 101!  is this a normal temp for teething?  she's 11 months old & has NO teeth yet!  and the last few days, she's been acting like she's teething.. and her bottom gums are kind of swollen.  on the other side of things, i put her in child care for 1 hour today while i went to physical therapy.... i called though & no kids there were sick.  ease my mind, please?  : /  

*UPDATE*

i gave her tylenol last night at about 7 & her fever actually broke, i think, about an hour after.  i tried to stay up until midnight to check her temp, but i fell asleep between 11:30 & 12.  i did notice that she was getting warmer as midnight approached.  i woke up around 1:30 & she felt like she was burning up!  but i took her temp (rectally), and it was only 100.6.  i gave her a little more tylenol & she went back to bed.  the fever didn't break again, but she did get a little cooler.  i felt her again this morning around 7 & she felt so hot again!  i didn't check her temp & just gave her some more medicine.  i called her pedi this morning at 8 & was able to get her in to see a doctor at 9.  he said her ears, throat & temp were all fine. so i have to watch it.  if it spikes today, i have to go back in, & if she still has the fever tomorrow, they're going to do a blood count.  if it's viral, nothing they can do... if it's not viral, they'll test her urine.  he said girls can ''hide'' an infection (urinary tract).  what i thought was weird, was when he took her temp, the top of her head was really hot, but her cheeks,etc were ok.. and she had no temp.  so we'll see, i guess.  thanks to all who replied!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natalies_mama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:37 PM

oh, and she's acting pretty normal...  

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 9:42 PM

It could just be a regular old fever that a child gets for no reason at all.  I think most likely it is a fever due to teeth coming since her gums are swollen.  All you can do if you choose to is give her some tylenol and give her a cool damp washcloth to chew on.

mlmartinez
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM

It is most likely due to teething just give her a little baby tylenol it will bring it down

LilGina
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM

DD's ped says anything above 101 is not teething so If it gets any higher i would call

zolanmel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM

its probally just a  ear infection. has she been tugging on her ears?

natalies_mama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:09 PM

she's never had anything like an ear infection before.. and i don't think she's tugging on her ears at all.

HereWeGoAgain9
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:15 PM

it's going to be ok! (I can say that, not only as a nurse but as a mom with 4 kids who have all been sick, sick, sick before).

101 is not terrible for that age. Any temp in an infant under 3 months should be considered serious and baby should be seen in the ER. For older babies/children, temps over 101.5 can be treated, but some doctors say wait to give tylenol or motrin until a temp of 102. personally, I treat anything 101 or higher. Some kids, mine included, like to run temps of 103-105 - SCARY but generally caused by a virus and they come down quickly. 

Hang in there, mama. This too shall pass. Call your child's on-call physician or nurse and they can give you detailed instructions. I would not worry until I got a temp reading of 103 - or if a temp just under was not brought down, even temporarily, by meds.

It's also helpful to dose properly....general rule is 10mg of tylenol/kg weight of child.

natalies_mama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM

i get so worried about things like this because she's on a delayed vaxing schedule :(  i'm praying it's only teething!  i'm so nervous, i'm shaking.  

Jaye677
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:28 PM
My guess would be teething also. I would give Tylenol, and a wet washcloth, and possibly an icepop. I try to keep them on hand when my dd's r running fevers, it helps cool them down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HereWeGoAgain9
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM

It's ok and normal to worry :) My children were all on delayed vaxing schedules as well - I understand. If you have any questions for me please don't hesitate to send a message. I'll do whatever I can to help ease your fears and get ya through this. She WILL be ok!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)