Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finger food ready, but no teeth yet!!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:04 PM
  • 18 Replies

My DD turns 10 mos old tomorrow and I feel like she's getting behind on finger foods. She doesn't really pick up things with her pointer and thumb like the doc says she should. And I think it's because I haven't given her any finger foods because she still doesn't have teeth. Well, she has 2 on the bottom just BARELY poking through, but I still don't feel safe giving her finger foods because she can't chew them and I don't want her to choke. Do they dissolve faster than I'm thinking or should I wait till she gets more teeth? BTW I'm talking about the Gerber cheese puffs and things like that. Thanks ladies!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on May. 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

My SIL's pediatrician said to just give her son regular food and he would gum it, and he did. :)

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:09 PM

The Gerber puffs dissolve pretty quickly.  You could cut up a piece of toast into small pieces and give her that.  She could really probably eat Cherrios.  Just be sure she can only get one or two at a time.  It's not ideal, but she could probably eat a few french fries, ya know the ones that are still super mushy.  You can slice up a banana and give her that, or peach or pear pieces.  Peaches are softer than pears.  Fresh ones, so the are all slippery with the juice they're packed in.

carinyosa99
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Trust me - they can chew without the teeth.  Jonathan had no teeth until about 10-1/2 months and he was eating carne asada (grilled beef) at 8 months.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM

No finger foods?

They don't NEED teeth for those. The teeth they need to chew are their molars, and most kids are closer to 18 months when they get those. Until then, their strong jaws and saliva do the job.

My kids started solids just after 6 months, and by 7 months they were feeding themselves steamed veggies, baked chicken/salmon/turkey, pasta, fruit etc.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:12 PM

It is a myth the children need teeth to chew.  The front teeth come in first and those teeth aren't for chewing anyway the back molars are and my DD will be 14 months this weekend and still doesn't have molars yet has been eating table food since 8 months old.

We started with things that melt like puffs and yogurt melts.  these are also great for pincher practice.  Tell her to chew chew and show her while you chomp over exaggerating.  she will catch on.  Then move to really soft food like avocados , bananas, cooked carrots etc and cut them small enough so she can swallow if she has too.  Then move to sweet potatoes, ripe pears, pasta pick ups etc.  always stay with her but she'll be fine!

AngelicaRenee
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Try the puffs for yourself, they disolve pretty quickly. Also you could try baby mum mums. my son LOVES those and they disolve quick.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:14 PM

BTW is she has problems picking up slippery things you can crush cheerios and roll them in dust. 

Joeysmom6
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM
They dissolve SUPER fast. My DS has been eating them since about 9ish months. I put one in my mouth and it dissolved in less then a minute.... and babies usually have more saliva.
anikahaynes1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM

my dd 14 months, has only had 2 teeth since 6 months old, she has been eating table food super awesomely, have only had one chocking, and it was on cheerios, go figure, the "safe food." lol give your dd a chance. they are really better at eating the table food than we give them credit for.

MOMby19
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM

i thought the same thing about dd. i waited until ds was 10 1/2 months old (when he FINALLY got his top 2 teeth in) to give him finger foods. dd was closer to 9 months and i bought those puffs. she wasn't getting her top teeth so i tested out a treat. i put it in my mouth and kind of mushed it around the roof of my mouth with my tounge. it dissolved A LOT faster than i expected. i gave 3 to dd on her tray and she picked up on how to gum them REALLY fast.

they don't need their teeth to chew those... and dd LOVES her banana treats. lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)