Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with a bad habit...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM
  • 16 Replies

Ok, so since i was young i have had a bad habit... i bite my nails. not like just bite them little, but till they almost bleed. to were i cant touch anything afterwards for a day. i know sounds horrible. i want to stop. after feeling the pain i want to cry and stop, but this habit is stuck like glue.

im asking if any of you have had this problem? what did you do to stop? i used to wear fake nails and that helped, but since i dont work its hard coming up with money for them. (i do my own and buy the $6 packs that i can do my nail like 5 times). and from this habit it takes so damn long for my nails to grow now (even when i was preggers it took forever) so i have to wear fake nails constantly for like 3 months.

so anyways... any advice how to stop? oh yea, i have a 1 year old and sometimes have to pull stuff from his mouth, so tabasco on my nails wont work lol.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2my3boys00
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM
I'm a nail biter also but I like the way my nails look when they grow out so I haven't bitten my nails for weeks. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bpmharris
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:33 AM

When I was in high school (About 8 yrs ago lol) I know they had this special nail polish that you would wear, specifically for nail biters. It had a nasty taste to it.. I'm not too sure if they still make it or not though. You might have to google it. I hope this helps :)

mandaleigha
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I don't have any advice, but here's a bump for you. I've been biting mine as long as I can remember and haven't found anything to help. 

2callmemom09
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:43 AM
I bite mine as well. Not to bleedin point though. Um try taking prenatals. I know a girl that does it strictly for her hair and nails!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cristina0709
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:48 AM

ooohhh thats a good idea. i still have a whole bottle from when i was pregger with DS. the date says they are still good.

to the pp above, i have nail polish called bit no more and just the slightest lick and i taste the horrible stuff. well, with a curious lil boy id hate to stick that in his mouth. thanks though. :)

Quoting 2callmemom09:

I bite mine as well. Not to bleedin point though. Um try taking prenatals. I know a girl that does it strictly for her hair and nails!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
natalies_mama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM

i don't bite my nails, but i pick my lips like crazy...  i've been trying to stop that for years, but alas, i am still picking my damn lips!

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:27 AM

I was a nail biter right up until I joined the Navy...LOL...with boot camp and then work after that I stopped for a long time. Unfortunately I started back up right around the time my son was born and that kept up until I had to have some major dental work done. Since I had to have teeth pulled and I've had problems with the upper plate they put in, I don't bite them anymore. Now I don't recommend having your teeth pulled out but I'm sure you can find a way to stop. Perhaps hypnosis??

toomanypoodles
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:02 AM

COLD TURKEY.  Straighten up your backbone and just QUIT!

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Try biting something else. You have an oral addiction. Try pencils, or liquorice or something.  Then you might eventually not need those anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)