Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Snack question

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

Ok so i am trying to find healthier snacks for my kids.  I want them to be healthy but not so filling to where they don't eat there lunch or supper.  What kinds of things do you feed your kids for snacks?

Also my kids love apples but they don't eat all of it.  I was wondering how long a cut apple lasts in a fridge?  If i were to cut up an apple and then only put half in one bowl and half in the other,  how long would it last?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BaileynMe
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM

I wouldn't feed it to them after a few days, maybe 3. You can squirt it with some lemon juice to keep it from browning; the citric acid will help prevent it.

saraface5383
by Sara on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:18 AM

give them some little bites of celery with peanut butter...shave it like a potato to get the strings off...raisins...you can even put that on the peanut butter on celery and call it ants on a log...oranges...bananas...just give them a little of stuff to hold them over...i know what you mean though when there hungry you don't want to tell them they cant eat..but if its like an hour maybe a half hour before dinner will be done just do something fun lol just redirect them i guess...i don't know i always feel bad and i usually ruin there dinner if there insistent on it.

BaileynMe
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:23 AM

We always did a variation of ants on a log, ants on a raft. We used a graham cracker instead of celery.

How about cheese cubes? You could even slice the cheese and use small cookie cutters to make it fun shapes (I have an itsy bitsy heart cookie cutter that's perfect.)

What about dips? You could do baked veggie chips along with some sort of veggie dip, or even guacamole.

Quoting saraface5383:

give them some little bites of celery with peanut butter...shave it like a potato to get the strings off...raisins...you can even put that on the peanut butter on celery and call it ants on a log...oranges...bananas...just give them a little of stuff to hold them over...i know what you mean though when there hungry you don't want to tell them they cant eat..but if its like an hour maybe a half hour before dinner will be done just do something fun lol just redirect them i guess...i don't know i always feel bad and i usually ruin there dinner if there insistent on it.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Apples are good with PB, natural- they also like yogurt, all flavors, cottage cheese, regular cheese, all crackers like ritz, organic grahms and cereal bars. Rice cakes, like ranch and chocolate flavor, oranges, kiwis, mangoes, bananas, eggs, lunchmeat, grapes, raisins, cran raisins, raw unsalted nuts like almonds and peanuts. Oatmeal and blueberries, geez, I could go on and on...

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Quoting BaileynMe:

I wouldn't feed it to them after a few days, maybe 3. You can squirt it with some lemon juice to keep it from browning; the citric acid will help prevent it.

HereWeGoAgain9
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Some of our favorite snacks!

Celery with peanut butter or cream cheese

Cut up cucumbers, carrots, celery and broccoli dipped in ranch dressing

Apples and/or bananas with peanut butter spread on top

(apples, cut in half and rub a bit of lemon juice over exposed fruit - it will last for days that way)

Hummus and pita chips

Chips and salsa

Homemade trail mix: nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, chocolate chips or M&M's, granola - we change this recipe around all the time, sometimes adding crispix cereal - they enjoy helping and it's a yummy quick snack

Grape tomatoes 

Tomato and cucmber "salad" - sometimes plain, or sometimes I add a bit of italian dressing or oil & vinegar

Those are just a few ideas from our household, but I have found that the kids will eat just about anything as long as they get to help prepare it. They also like dipping and food served on special or fun plates/bowls and cut up into fun shapes.

Happy eating :)

fireice
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Thank you gals so much.  It was very helpfull :).

toomanypoodles
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Nuts, but my kids are old enough to not choke on them.  Almonds, pistacchios and walnuts.  They contain healthy essential oils.

We also like yogurt for a snack and lots of fruit now that it's in season. 

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I always cut an apple in half. Put the whole half in the fridge to save. That way only the cut part turns brown and you cut it off when you want to make new slices.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)