Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce!?!?!?!?!?!?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM
  • 19 Replies

My sisters husband kicked her out last night. so i took her in til she can find a job and get on her feet.

my question is this.

he asked for her rings back last night. i thought that you don't give your rings back. What are you to do give them back or keep them? I mean this is just something they decided on last night and right then and there he was like give me the d**n rings back. Seriously, i wanted to smack the crap out of him. He even stated that he wanted the rings back so he could pawn them mainly because he didn't want her to have them or the money from them. 

I am at my wits end trying to help them with everything. All this happened at 1230 am, i was pissed and this is not the first time that they have threatened this. any divorced moms out there with advice i could use to tell my sis. i have never been through this so i have no idea. all they do is fight and beat each other and she still wants to be with him. i just don't understand.

OK sorry, any advice or protocol on rings would be great. 

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dosthepost
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

What does it matter? She gave them back already right? I don't think there's a protocol.... although, to ask for them back is stupid. Whether or not he's happy now, those were a gift to her... but personally I wouldn't want them anyway.

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Believe it or not there have been court cases about this. My friends being one of them The judge said that when he put those rings on her finger they became hers and she only had to give them back if she wanted to. I have to agree. I wouldnt give them back.

CaptainCookie.
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I gave mine back, I didnt want to look at the stupid things.

SAOLIVER2133
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Usually each person keeps the rings they were given, in my divorce the judge said she keeps her rings and he keeps his ring because they were gifts given to each other before you were officially married ( because we exchange rings prior to the " I now pronounce you man and wife " ) there for it was personally property before you were married and anything you came into the marriage with is your, only items received after being married do you have to split.

canthaveboys1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM

A friend of mine got back the engagment ring, but the wife got the wedding ring. They both ended up in the same pawn shop. Personally if my marriage was over i would not want them.

CaneWife
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I know the possession of engagement rings depends on the state (in some states, it's considered a promise of marriage so if somethiing happens, the ring is returned because the marraige never took place. In others, it's considered the ring is considered a gift, and remains with the recipient). I would think that since the marriage took place, she is absolutely entitled to her e-ring, as fulfillment of the marriage contract. The wedding band may be a different matter.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything with them without an attorney's approval. She should neither return them to him, nor sell or pawn them.

This is by no means legal advice. When I was divorced, I kept my rings and he would have kept his, if he hasn't lost it or pawned it prior to my filing. I did end up selling them, but they were then definitely mine by law.

sarah513
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM
They were a gift. The rings belong to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-xoxo-
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM

She doesn't have to do anything right now, period. She needs to lawyer up and tell him that he is to not contact her again until they're done in court. He's trying to intimidate her but he's just going to make himself look like an ass for the judge.

adians_mama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I pawned mine. I pretty sure once they are married, they belong to her.

RosellaBella
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Dont give the rings back! she fulfilled her promises. they belong to her. besides she shouldnt do anything until she speaks to a lawyer! dont let her give in to him!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)