Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shower/Bath Time

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

Do you let your kids shower with you?

DD is 2yrs (33 months and she still shows interest in taking a shower with me. I let her if it's in a rush, but I don't know when or if I should stop. It's probably a choice of personal preferance, but I would like some opinions or experiences to see or get an idea if or when I should stop.

Does your child still bathe/shower with you or your SO/DH? If so, do you do the same sex thing like girls shower with mommies and boys shower with daddy? Or it doesn't really matter?

And if not, what age did you stop and why? Was it because your child started to not want to or because you thought it was best for them? Or did you just never want to do it?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brianav
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM
Dd never showered with me. Shower time is MY time to relax:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meli55aG2001
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM

My daughter is 3 years old and prefers to shower alone.  I usually hop in there to help her wash herself and then hop out so she can play for a little bit.  When it comes to baths, she likes having me in there with her.  I end up wearing a swim suit so she leaves my lady parts and boobs alone.  If she has gotten herself really messy, sometimes she showers with daddy but we'll probably stop that since she's getting curious and is pulling on things. 

-PB
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Quoting Brianav:

Dd never showered with me. Shower time is MY time to relax:)

I'm with you on the me time.  Shower time is mommy's time.  My DH won't shower with DD either but she is only 9 months and can't stand up on her own so that complicates things.  I think its a personal preference though.  Whatever is easiest for you.  I would say by 3 1/2 to 4 years old at the latest children should shower by themselves but again JMO.

canthaveboys1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I like that few minutes to myself. I have never bathed or showered with any of my kids.

Katt709
by Katharine on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I don't shower with DS. DH has- when it was necessary - showered with DS. But mostly DS gets a bath all by himself. I would think that parents should stop bathing with children about 3 yo. JMO.

SmallFrey87
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:19 PM

My DD takes a bath with me 5 days a week. She is 27 months. My DH gives her baths on weekends but he doesn't go in with her. It works for us but she will probably transition to bathing  alone before she is 3 so I have room in the tub/shower.

kaylasmom22
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM

My DD is 3 and most of the time she showers alone cause I use the bath water not the actual shower, she hates that one. She will sit and play so is hard for me to take a bath like that. If is a fast thing and we are leaving then yes she showers with me. My DH has never shower with her, he does not even see her naked.

Jaye677
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM
I take my DD's in the shower w/ me if I'm in a rush. They r 7,4,3. But mainly I don't that's me time lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Yes. Not all the time, but sometimes it's SO much easier.

When I was pregnant with my second and had a sore back at the end, I would fill my jacuzzi tub and bring my toddler in with me. He would play while I relaxed.

Now they are 26 months and 3.5 years, and both my husband and I will bring them in the shower with us. If we have somewhere to be and the kids need to be cleaned up, one of us hops in and cleans them before handing them off to be dried and help them get their clothes on. Then the person in the shower gets to finish up.

We don't mind, I manage to find plenty of "me time" even when my husband was gone for 3 weeks at a time. This won't last forever : )

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

rogueflowrchld
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM

My kids both showered with me and I have a boy and a girl. I would still let my littlest.....he just turned two.....but SO has a problem with it so I've respected him and have stopped the showers together. I really don't think ds cares.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)