Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

head start *piog*

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son has a while, but today at the 6 month evaluation for speech therapy, they recommended I enroll my son in Head Start. I was assured the one I'd be taking my son to is a really good one.  I have heard good stories about Head Start, and bad stories. I'm not sure if it was one of the local ones or not, but a mom told me one school was sued for child abuse. I'd basically drop off my son and he'd be in a group. I'm nervous about that, but that is what I'd be doing for pre-k (dropping him off) so I better get used to it lol. Anyone mind giving me their personal reviews and experiences? Did they have an open house? Are the sessions supervised?

The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth

----Chief Seattle

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cturner10
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM

at head start you as the parent should be able to volunteer which means you can stay in the class or at least the be in the school. i work at head start. what state do you live in?

Owl_Feather
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Quoting cturner10:

at head start you as the parent should be able to volunteer which means you can stay in the class or at least the be in the school. i work at head start. what state do you live in?

I am in Ga. The therapist told me I'd basically wait in a room with the other parents.

----Chief Seattle

cturner10
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Quoting Owl_Feather:

Quoting cturner10:

I am in Ga. The therapist told me I'd basically wait in a room with the other parents.

oh ok so he wont be in a regular classroom?

Owl_Feather
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Quoting cturner10:

Quoting Owl_Feather:

Quoting cturner10:

oh ok so he wont be in a regular classroom?

I have no idea. They didnt give me all the information I need, which is why I am asking on here for personal experiences.

----Chief Seattle

crazyboutbabies
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM

At our Head Start you are REQUIRED to volunteer "x" amount of time over the course of the school year....Yes they have an Open House and other activities all through the schol year, usually at least once a month if not every week!

Our Head Start program here in Oregon is wonderful (of course we live in a semi-small town)....The teachers here are great, I try to make DAILY contact w/ them just to see how things are going w/ my Foster Child.

They are "CORE" on Learning & Nutrition, so be rest assured your child WILL learn and WILL be fed good, healthy foods!

I'm sure there are alot of good programs out here and alot of bad ones, just ask lots of questions, ask to take a tour and be INVOLVED when your dhild enrolled!!

Hope this helps! ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)