Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your teen and drunk driving

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:56 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi- I mentioned in the introduction post that I work for a company that helps people with alcohol problems and the law. Right now, I'm working on a campaign to help parents monitor their teens' drinking habits to prevent them from not only having legal trouble due to drinking and driving, but also to avoid a tragic and premature death.  I'd thought I'd send a link  to a press release along your way in case you are interested!

bit.ly/dA9fAS

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3boyz1princess
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I know several car companies are thinking of adding this as a standard option on cars in the future..I think it is a great idea...less drunks on the roads..

Gailll
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Teens should know that they can call parents and the parents will come and get them if there is a drug or alcohol issue and the teen won't get in trouble since they were smart enough to call. My 3 boys knew that but it never happened.  

themomof3boys
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM

when I was growing up and we went to parties where my parents knew there was going to be drinking we were always told to stay there or call home.  They always said they would come get us with NO questions asked, and also applied to them as well.  Yes, my parents have had to call someone to come and pick them up when they realized they were both too drunk to drive home.

SierraNevadaMom
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Quoting samlbm:

Hi- I mentioned in the introduction post that I work for a company that helps people with alcohol problems and the law. Right now, I'm working on a campaign to help parents monitor their teens' drinking habits to prevent them from not only having legal trouble due to drinking and driving, but also to avoid a tragic and premature death.  I'd thought I'd send a link  to a press release along your way in case you are interested!

bit.ly/dA9fAS

Teens with "drinking habits" would have no car, no insurance, and no driver's license in my household.  If one of my sons EVER displayed signs of having a "drinking habit" -- he wouldn't be driving anything anywhere.  You wanna drink? You better plan on walking Boy............

okhsmom
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Quoting SierraNevadaMom:

Quoting samlbm:

bit.ly/dA9fAS

Teens with "drinking habits" would have no car, no insurance, and no driver's license in my household.  If one of my sons EVER displayed signs of having a "drinking habit" -- he wouldn't be driving anything anywhere.  You wanna drink? You better plan on walking Boy............

Agree...Its a ridiculous policy to tell kids to stay put and call mom and dad and there will be no consequence.  While I agree kids should be able to come to parents for anything, it doens't mean anything with no consequence.  We read on this board every day about moms flipping out over sharpie on the wall and what kind of punishment, but drinking underage and no consequence?  GTFouttahere.  What a load of shit. 

samlbm
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Yeah, I agree. It's completely unfair for teens to drink without consequence. However, I've seen a lot of situations where teens do need a car for things like driving to work to help the family make money or to pick up younger siblings if both parents work. We see in the news how destructive it can be to have teens behind the wheel, but we never see how helpful and integral it is when our teens learn to drive. I believe having an ignition interlock is a great way to teach teens responsibility, especailly when other people are reyling on them to drive safely.

okhsmom
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Quoting samlbm:

Yeah, I agree. It's completely unfair for teens to drink without consequence. However, I've seen a lot of situations where teens do need a car for things like driving to work to help the family make money or to pick up younger siblings if both parents work. We see in the news how destructive it can be to have teens behind the wheel, but we never see how helpful and integral it is when our teens learn to drive. I believe having an ignition interlock is a great way to teach teens responsibility, especailly when other people are reyling on them to drive safely.

I understand you are coming from a different place than I, obviously, one that makes money when this device is sold, so you have a particularly different interest in this.  I have four kids, rely on my teen drivers to help.  One of my kids was particularly rebellious.  I dealt with teen drinking and most likely driving after having been drinking (although typically DC drank to the point of alcohol poisoning so driving was not possible).  We sold the teen's car and took other far more drastic measures than a device on ONE car.  A driver (licensed or not) has access (legally or not) to a number of cars.  A device can't be on every one a potential teen alcohol user may get into.  This is just not the answer to teen drinking, to drunk driving, any of it.  That said, good luck with your campaign. 

okhsmom
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Quoting samlbm:

...has nothing to do with fair or not, has to do with parents not staying committed to their responsibility when our kids cross boundaries.  Whether parents care if their kids drink underage or not isn't the issue.  It is illegal. Parents have some responsibility to raise a sense of respect for the law, imo.

kirstn007
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:27 PM

when my son is old enough im going to explain to him that if he is ever too drunk to drive or his driver is drunk that he can always call me and i wont yell at him. i think thats important too, to keep the communication open but also teach him about his boundaries and consequences

SierraNevadaMom
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:45 PM

A lot of parents are too eager to get their teens licensed & behind the wheel just to make their own lives easier (picking up siblings, getting to/from school, etc.)   These same parents will LOVE the idea of slapping some electronic device onto the ignition so that Junior can't drive off and kill someone.  Really?  Is that all it takes to be a good parent?  I think not.   Kids who party and kids who associate with other kids who party are just TOO IMMATURE to be allowed to drive.  Telling them it's OK to go out & party -- but just call me if you're too wasted to make it home and I'll come pick you up -- is NOT good parenting.  Sorry, it's just not.  It gives them the wrong message.  Zero tolerance while they are living under your roof is the only way to send the right message to these young, impressionable children.  Having a few drug testing kits in the house (cheap from Walmart) is another good deterrant.   Drunk driving at 18 is no good, Rehab at 20 is no better, and dead at 23 is.......just not gonna happen in my house --  no way Jose...... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)