Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cloth Diapers

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:06 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am 24 years old an about to have my first baby, due Sept 4th. My dad used cloth diapers on me and my 3 sisters and said that it does take alittle work and some patience, but we never had diaper rash. I am planning to use cloth diapers with my daughter when she is born. I want some advice from moms who have used cloth diapers on their children. I want to know what the best kind of cloth diapers.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loves_her_baby
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I just won one of these diapers and we havent used it yet BUT it just looks amazing.lol. it feels great, it adjusts, and the coolors are cute

http://katydidcloth.com/store/

silva_dianne
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:36 PM

What brand is it???

Owl_Feather
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:54 PM

yay! congrats! I cloth diaped my son for a while. I stopped once he outgrew what i had because I couldnt afford more. But I enjoyed cd'ing him. He had no diaper rashes and it really saved money. I never had issues with a raised water or power bill. For the house i bought the gerber prefolds they sell at walmart and got a few covers. I also got some pockets and an aio. I really liked the pockets. basically a cover you can stuff with liners or prefolds. aio's are like disposables: cove and leak protection except they are washable and reusable. I stored soiled diapers in a cat litter pail and sprinkled baking soda in it. once full I washed them on hot with free and clear detergent, rinsed twice and sun dried them, sometimed followed by a fluff cycle in the dryer.  I got a lot of diapers and information from diaperjungle.com and you should check out diaperswappers.com (this website s confusing but a great way to get them in bulk)

Army_Wife41
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:58 PM

It really depends on your baby's size and stuff like that.

I have a Katydid diaper for DS (a PP posted the link). I really like them. They are cute, come in quite a few colors, and are one size. Another diaper I like are Flips. They are made by the same company that makese bumGenius (also a good brand).

But I have to say....my absolute favorite diapers....are home made diapers. I don't make them myself, but there is a group on here full of mom's who make the CUTEST diapers. You can have them made custom from them as well, and they are really affordable (similarly priced to big brands).

I suggest you check that group out. It is called Cuties With Cloth Booties. You will learn everything you need in that group. It has been a life saver for me.

Hope this helps!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM

They are super easy! No extra work, except for a load of laundry and you're dad is right... No diaper rashes! There are no pins, plastic pants etc. that your dad probably used lol

I am on baby #3 right now, and have spent just over $500 on cloth diapers. That includes custom embroidered and more expensive brands, it would be cheaper if you just bought prefolds and covers. Anyway, I have used the diapers for almost 4 years and diapered two (soon to be 3) kids. How many people can say that they've only spent $500 to diaper one child from birth to potty training, let alone two or 3? My diapers are still in amazing condition, and I can pass them on when we're done.

This is a fitted diaper. It was made by a Cafemom, and is fleece. You can use a cover, but if you change it before they soak it, there are no leaks.

This is an AIO (all in one). The brand is BottomBumpers, and it is a cover and diaper all in one. It goes on and off like a disposable. These are my favorite!

These are Gdiapers. They are a hybrid diaper, and you can use the flushable inserts, or the cloth ones. I use the cloth for at home, or the flushable for vacation.

We also use pocket diapers, which look just like an AIO, only they have a pocket at the back that you stuff. We use them for bed and nap time as you can control how much absorbancy there is.

There are also prefolds and covers. The brand I use is Bummis (Whistper wraps), with organic chinese cotton prefolds.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Army_Wife41
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Such cute pics! And this is a great response!

I love that diaper with the butterfy on it. I want one for DD! :-D

Quoting Randi02:

They are super easy! No extra work, except for a load of laundry and you're dad is right... No diaper rashes! There are no pins, plastic pants etc. that your dad probably used lol

I am on baby #3 right now, and have spent just over $500 on cloth diapers. That includes custom embroidered and more expensive brands, it would be cheaper if you just bought prefolds and covers. Anyway, I have used the diapers for almost 4 years and diapered two (soon to be 3) kids. How many people can say that they've only spent $500 to diaper one child from birth to potty training, let alone two or 3? My diapers are still in amazing condition, and I can pass them on when we're done.

This is a fitted diaper. It was made by a Cafemom, and is fleece. You can use a cover, but if you change it before they soak it, there are no leaks.

This is an AIO (all in one). The brand is BottomBumpers, and it is a cover and diaper all in one. It goes on and off like a disposable. These are my favorite!

These are Gdiapers. They are a hybrid diaper, and you can use the flushable inserts, or the cloth ones. I use the cloth for at home, or the flushable for vacation.

We also use pocket diapers, which look just like an AIO, only they have a pocket at the back that you stuff. We use them for bed and nap time as you can control how much absorbancy there is.

There are also prefolds and covers. The brand I use is Bummis (Whistper wraps), with organic chinese cotton prefolds.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

BabyDollMama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:18 PM
That's great! Congrats :) i got all of my diapers off of GreenMountainDiapers.com. They have everything you need and are really cheap compared to other cloth diapers. They even send you a packet with your purchase if you mark you're new to cloth. And they have a link to the Potty Pail. A must have i think! It makes using cloth diapers much easier and cleaner. You can message me if you have any questions :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silva_dianne
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Thank you ladies for your advice. I am looking at all of the info and websites you gave me and I hope I can make a good decision for our daughter. I feel like this is a huge decision and step in my life. LOL. I love all of you and appraciate your advice deeply. Thank you.

mynaturalbaby
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Hope I'm not too late to throw my advice in! 

I've been using cloth on 11 month old DS since he was a newborn and I'm HOOKED!  It sounds stupid, but once you start, you won't be able to stop ;)

I use prefolds and covers, and always suggest that first time cloth diapering Moms try those first because they're cheaper than other systems and just as easy to use.  Prefolds are cotton diapers that you fold and then sit inside a waterproof, PUL cover that closes with velcro tabs.  That's it!  I use have Thirsties, Real Nappies USA and Econobum covers in my stash, but the RN ones are my fav's.  They have really good bundle packs and a Birth to Potty pack if you're looking for diapers AND covers for one price.  Here's aclicky
 to their website.  

FYI, I have about 5 covers and 18 diapers in my stash and wash them every 2nd day.  Hope that helps and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.  I've tried most systems!

Follow my journey into raising a baby using all natural products on my blog and on Twitter - mynaturalbaby.

BabyDollMama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I wanted to add that I store DD's wet diapers in a tall kitchen garbage can (I call it a diaper pail) with a pail liner (a waterproof bag) I got on the Green Mountain website. And poopy ones, I wash them out in the Potty Pail then place them in the diaper pail. I have 10 covers and 20 diapers and wash them every 2.5 days with free/clear detergent and dry them in the dryer. I hang the covers because prolonged exposure to high heat can ruin the waterproofing on them. And that goes for any cover that is waterproofed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)