Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What happened?! Please help before I lose it....

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son was such a good sleeper. All I had to do was tell him "bedtime" at 8PM, and he'd go in, put himself to bed, wait for a goodnight kiss, and sleep the whole night through. In the mornings, he woke up anywhere between 7 and 8 AM, in a pleasant mood.

Now. Not even close.

It's 915, and I've been fighting with him since 8 to try to get him to go to bed. He's screaming almost to the point of throwing up. I'm at my wit's end here. Once he finally does go to sleep, he'll wake up again probably around 1 am and scream for about 1/2 an hour at which point he'll fall asleep in my husband's arms. If my husband's lucky, he'll be able to put Mikey down without waking him. If not, it'll be hours before he goes back to sleep.

Then, about 6 am or so, Mikey will come stand outside my bedroom door and scream bloody murder until I pick him up. As soon as I pick him up, he'll be sound asleep and sleep until anywhere between 9 and 11.

He'll wake up screaming. I'll have to hold him for an hour or two until he calms down. Sometime in the afternoon, he'll start screaming again and insist on being held. He'll fall asleep despite my efforts to keep him awake (in hopes he'll go to bed at a decent time). He'll sleep for at least a couple hours, wake up and be fine until bedtime when it all starts again.

I just don't know what to do with him anymore. I'm losing patience quickly. He's 2, by the way. Any advice would be great......

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM

it maybe time to change the bedtime routine around. make sure hes not naping or naping to late in the day. change his bed time by half hour or 45 min to avoid the bedtime stress. working him up before bed can add to the waking up in the middle of the night

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Quoting hailnbray:

it maybe time to change the bedtime routine around. make sure hes not naping or naping to late in the day. change his bed time by half hour or 45 min to avoid the bedtime stress. working him up before bed can add to the waking up in the middle of the night

I'm trying not to let him nap late in the day. For instance, today, he fell asleep around 4PM, and I knew that wasn't good. I tried and tried to wake him up. Each time, he'd wake for a few minutes, then go right back to sleep. It wasn't until a little after 6 that I was finally able to get him to stay awake....

hailnbray
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM

if he falls asleep late do something. stick him in the bath, go for a walk, play at the park ect.

Quoting MikeysMom51108:

Quoting hailnbray:

I'm trying not to let him nap late in the day. For instance, today, he fell asleep around 4PM, and I knew that wasn't good. I tried and tried to wake him up. Each time, he'd wake for a few minutes, then go right back to sleep. It wasn't until a little after 6 that I was finally able to get him to stay awake....

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

Tiger420
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM
Is it possible to distract him around the time he wants a nap? Maybe take him to the park or do a fun craft? When my two year old won't take a nap at nap time we try and distract him when he starts getting tired.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommawombat
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Seeing your ticker. He is probulary sensing its time for the baby. Are you preparing like cleaning, packing your bags? Talking to other people about it. "Mikey is showing some signs of anxiety, knowing mommy is going away then bring back someone else that will take the attention off of him.

When I went in to have both of my daughters. I took my son then my 1 st daughter to the store let them get something for the new baby. I let them pick it out. Then I got them something from the baby to them when they came to the hospital.

Just make sure he knows he is going to loved and the attention will not be all on the baby. Alo make sure other people direct attention on him, even if you have to redirect it to him point blank

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I can try that, but it happens even if he doesn't take a nap. Sunday, we were at my mom's all day. He was outside playing, running around, no nap. We thought for sure he'd pass out and sleep well, but it was basically the same thing....

Quoting Tiger420:

Is it possible to distract him around the time he wants a nap? Maybe take him to the park or do a fun craft? When my two year old won't take a nap at nap time we try and distract him when he starts getting tired.

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

He doesn't really talk yet, so I'm not sure how much he understands.....I suppose that could play a part though. I really don't think he's lacking attention though. Everywhere we go, people are all over him--whether it be family or even strangers at the store. It's like people can't get enough.

Quoting mommawombat:

Seeing your ticker. He is probulary sensing its time for the baby. Are you preparing like cleaning, packing your bags? Talking to other people about it. "Mikey is showing some signs of anxiety, knowing mommy is going away then bring back someone else that will take the attention off of him.

When I went in to have both of my daughters. I took my son then my 1 st daughter to the store let them get something for the new baby. I let them pick it out. Then I got them something from the baby to them when they came to the hospital.

Just make sure he knows he is going to loved and the attention will not be all on the baby. Alo make sure other people direct attention on him, even if you have to redirect it to him point blank

kaidensmommy09
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Hmm.. well at 2 he should be taking 1 nap like mid-day? Being over-tired can make it difficult to sleep also. If he had a nap mid day he wouldnt want one later making it easier for him to fall asleep at reg. bed time.. the  2 y/o i take care of sleeps from around 1-3:15 everyday.. goes to bed at 8pm and gets up around 8:15am.. Also, just be consistent.. i know it gets hard but keep trying, dont give up, and i'm sure he'll eventually get back into the swing of things

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

My younger son had sleep disturbance at age two.  I don't know if it would help, but keeping your cool is my suggestion.  Be firm. If he carries on walk away.  If he wakes up at night, be sure he has a bright enough night light that he can play quietly in his own room until he is ready to go back to sleep. 

Nykkii
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:51 AM

When we moved here, my son decided he didn't want to sleep anymore.  He had been on a 9 pm routine from 10 months until 20 months.  He would scream ALL night (he's in a crib so no coming out on his own).  I stopped his naps and bumped his bedtime way up (the time change didn't help).  He ended up going to bed at 11:30 pm.  We took him for a car ride to get him to pass out, then carried him to bed.  Once a week, he'd wake up between 1 and 3 and stay up for hours!  I'd sleep with him on the couch whenever he was ready to sleep.  I would try to get him to nap between 1-3 in the afternoon.  If he didn't sleep by 3, I didn't let him. 

We are down to a 10:30 bedtime right now.  We moved back 15 mins a week once he started sleeping through the night (even if that night was 11:30 to 11:00).  Then I wake him up earlier than he would sleep when going to bed at 11:30.

I still don't let him nap past 5 (that late he gets 30, no longer).  I will pick him up and set him down in the middle of the room, on his feet.  He'll cry and I'll calmly talk to him.  I'll tell him it's not nap time, no sleeping.  After a minute, I'll pick him up and cuddle him.  If he starts going back to sleep, back to the middle of the room we go.  It's heartbreaking to know I'm causing him to cry (be warned) but he cannot go back to sleeping later. 

It's going to be a long process mama. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)