Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boosters are easier?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM
  • 42 Replies

I hear this all the time

"I can't wait til he can use a booster its so much easier."

"We moved him to a booster because it was easier."

HOW is a booster easier?  When you use a booster for a child that is YOUNG, I'm talking under 4 and 40lbs, you still have to do the seatbelt for them.  Heck my son is almost 8 and I still have to check his belt because its often not tight enough acorss his hip area.

I personally think the harness is easier because they can atleast get the shoulder straps on themselves.  My older kids can do the straps themsleves totally to get in and out, when we switched to the booster it was a pain in my opinion.

YES I do get that people can't afford seats that harness to 65lbs sometimes and use the $50 seat that most kids outgrow height wise by 2-3 years old from Walmart. but the Maestro is $70 at Sears and will last most kids height and weight til 4-5 years old if NOT more.(my 6 year old fits FINE).

I know not all states have laws that say ages and weights but many do say 4 and 40lbs for a booster seat.  Very rarely are 4 year olds even mature enough to sit still all the time in a booster.  It means no sitting cross legged, no leaning, no slouching.  How many of us as adults can say we sit correctly all the time?

I am not attacking, just explaining my thoughts and asking so I can understand how boosters are easier to others besides me.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I hear you Tabi - and I agree.  I do not understand what makes them "easier"...  My 5 year old is still in a harness - he does the top - and I click the bottom.  Easier than fishing around in the seat while leaning over him to help him find the end of the belt and certainly equally as easy as double checking the lap portion of the belt, as you indicated.

Not to mention - he is safer that way - which for me, trumps easy anyway! :)

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Yup, don't get us started on boosters lol. My DD is still RF at an age where alot of kids her age we know are boostered. Mostly out of convienence.

tabi_cat1023
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Yup, don't get us started on boosters lol. My DD is still RF at an age where alot of kids her age we know are boostered. Mostly out of convienence.

Isn't it just easier to leave her the way she is..I mean I left my son RFing til age 3, no needto ever uninstall his seat lol.  He was fine that way so why move him, even when I was 9 months preggers.

kcook55
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM

i agree with you. i don't understand how they are easier. ds will be 5 next month hes not big enough for a booster my state is 4yrs AND 40lbs. we went with a friend the other day out of town and she made a comment about ds will be able to use a booster soon i didn't say anything to her about it. she don't have kids so she don't understand the whole car seat thing. i would never put a child under 6 yrs in a booster i think them being in a 5 point harness as long as possible is best. ds can do the straps and buckle himself but i make sure straps are straight and i tighten the straps so its tighten enough for him.

lundaylove
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:36 PM

ill never understand it either. Here in NC (you know) the laws are good... and yet no one listens to them. Hell i had a cop pull me over once cuz my kids were rear facing, telling me to turn them around. When logan was only 10 months old---HELLO! thats ILLEGAL!  ugh some will never get it....

jrp0606
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:24 PM

oh RFing is so so much easier I hate Austin FF becaue he kicks the back of the seat - and never sleeps because he is sitting too upright.  I take RFing anyday over FF especially on long trips.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Isn't it just easier to leave her the way she is..I mean I left my son RFing til age 3, no needto ever uninstall his seat lol.  He was fine that way so why move him, even when I was 9 months preggers.

MommyBoha
by Christy on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Quoting AM-BRAT:

EXACTLY!!! Trin is 4.5 years old and RF and she is the ONLY kid her age around here that still in a harnessed seat, let alone RF.

mel4him
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:27 PM

What makes them easier is the fact that you do not have to install a booster seat as you do a car seat. You place the seat in the car, have your child climb in then buckle them in just like you buckle yourself in. No installation required. : )

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:27 PM

i use a booster for a 6 yr old i watch, and I HATE it! her mom has one and i wonder what it is(im using my AOE..DOM 2007)

its big and bulky and i cant keep it IN the car, cause there is no place to tether it, so i keep it either in my garage or in my trunk when she is not with me....also, she canNOT buckle her seat belt by herself...so picking her up from school was a PITA, i always had to pull into the parking lot after she got in and go around to buckle her

i wonder....would a turbo booster be better for her to buckle?

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Boosters are easier because most people don't bother checking to make sure their child is in the seat properly.

My kids are 3.5 years and 26 months. Both are still rear facing, and both can get in themselves. They can get their arms in the harness, I just clip it all together and make sure it's tight enough. Not that hard at all : )

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)