Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my child 'technologically challenged?'

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM
  • 6 Replies

My DD is 5. She's going into Kindergarden at the same Montessori Preschool she's been in for the last 2 years. She's really smart, testing into 1st grade already.

But I see posts on here all the time about 3-4-5 year olds who can use computers, video games, etc. My DD can't use a mouse on a computer, we've tried and she just doesn't get it. She doesn't play video games. We have a Wii and she could not figure out how to play the bowling game on it. The only hand held game she has is a princess game from Kohl's, and there are only on, off, and arrow buttons, and she rarely plays it.

I'm afraid that she's behind other kids in that area. Are there other kids her age that can't do those things, or am I holding her back in today's technological world by her not knowing how to do them?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
zoeysmom331
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM

BUMP!

KandiceN
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I'd work on her fine motor skills.. not really on the computer, and her hand-eye coordination.  Might help her out.

My 4yr old is a pro at the computer, she just got a new game and installed it herself.. lol  And my 20mo old knows how to turn it on, click on his profile and start up his game.  But he can't do a puzzle to save his life lol  Or talk! Well, he has a few words.. but not many.

zoeysmom331
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I'm sure her motor skills are fine, as is her hand eye coordination. She can ride a bike, hit a baseball with a bat, she can write, do buttons and snaps, tie her shoes etc. It's just starting to worry me a bit that she can't do those things.

KandiceN
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Well using a mouse is hand-eye coordination.  I know is our school they have computer lab every day so I would start working with her now.

zoeysmom331
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Thanks. I'll have to start doing something.

doulala
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:53 PM

So you are confident with the school & teachers who know her personally and feel that she is even "above average" for her age...     Why bother comparing with strangers??

My child is going into the third grade and has never used a computer for sure!   
(Because she is a Waldorf student...   )

You are probably familiar with this philosophy since you chose Montessori~    so I encourage you to keep faith in your child and in the method of schooling that you like for her.   And to have faith in the educators who know her in-person.

Talk with her teachers for reassurance, too...     See what they suggest ,if anything.

Of course, our school discourages all media and electronics big time and the school is above average benchmarks...    I am behind the teachers all the way!

:-)

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)