Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can you LIKE disposable diapers??? *UPDATE*

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM
  • 341 Replies

Just sharing.....SO, DD and I went camping for the weekend and by the title you probably can tell I'm a cloth diapering mama. Well we didn't want to carry around poopy diapers all weekend, so we bought some disposables just for camping. AND...THEY...SUCKED! She soaked through them all the time and got those little crystals all over her little butt. Seriously, I want to know why anyone would prefer disposables to cloth. We bought huggies, if anyone wants to know. I thought it was only pampers that did the crystal thing, but I obviously was mistaken. But please enlighten me on the subject if you don't mind :)

**Holy crap....I never expected to get so many replies! Haha. Alot of you have asked how often I changed her. I changed her just as often as I did with her cloth diapers....about every 2 - 2 1/2 hours, unless she pooped or I could tell she was wet. And there were times when I changed her that her pants were wet, bum covered in crystals but the diaper wasn't even soaked yet. Granted, that wasn't the case most of the time, but more than i'd expect. Seeing commercials with water balloons in the diaper showing how much they hold and how leak proof they are is a complete joke! But of course I can't expect manufacturers to actually live up to their promises about a product. Ha!**

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zoeysmom331
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I used disposables with DD but i wouldn't necessarily say I liked them. That was over 5 years ago, and I didn't really know any better. I thought cloth were still like they were when I was a kid, the ones that were a pain in the ass to get on and leaked all over. So I went with them.

This baby I'm cloth diapering.

lundaylove
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM

how long did you keep her in a wet diaper cuz unless she was sitting in her own poop and pee that would not have happened. My kids NEVER leak thru their diaper unless its too small and only the pampers cruisers have done the lil crystal thing.

2and2onway
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

The only brand that I ever came accross that do not leak with my kiddos are the cheapies from Kroger.

mama_girl07

It depends on the brand you buy. I find huggies does that. I tried cloth and it jsut wasnt for me, I hate laundry to begin with and washing the poop out no thanks. We use luvs, I cahnge her and throw the diaper in the bag by the door and then every morning my husband take it out. I dont know whats not to love about them I guess unless you get a brand that doesnt work for you.

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

we use the costco brand(kirkland) and my DD has never had any problem with them...yes she will leak through IF i leave her in a wet diaper for HOURS on end..but once i see that she is starting to sag a little, i check and then change her...so she RARELY soaks through a diaper

i dont use huggies on my girls, cause yeah..they SUCK..i have used pampers(LOVE them, but have gotton the crystals on DD#1 a few times), parents choice(dont really like them and usually always get the crystals), and the kirkland brand(LOVE them, NEVER get crystals)

dosthepost

Well, when you CHANGE it before it's soaked that doesn't happen.

manamott
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM

IDK...I had never known any different until being on here. I plan on cloth diapering my third child but DD and DS were both disposable. But in my experience they only leak through and do the crystal thing if you leave them on too long...like hours at a time.

MommyBoha
by Christy on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Quoting lundaylove:

how long did you keep her in a wet diaper cuz unless she was sitting in her own poop and pee that would not have happened. My kids NEVER leak thru their diaper unless its too small and only the pampers cruisers have done the lil crystal thing.

squidsmommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM

We use disposable and I agree with the second reply. Maybe you should have changed her more often. My son will leak through sometimes at night and that's it because I make sure I change him when he's wet. Also, the only time we have had that crystal thing happen is at night, when he leaks through.

Rae-Rae_Kitty
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM

to be honest, I have no idea how to do cloth diapers. I mean how to fold & fasten them, what to put over them, nothing. we've used disposables since my son was born & only ever had a couple that did the crystal thing. We use several different brands too, pampers, huggies,  & walgreens brand. I guess, like many things, it's just an individual choice. Sorry you had such a bad experience with them.

For future reference, maybe you should camp by a creek or something where you can wash the cloth diapers out at. idk, just an idea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)