Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LIVID

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 3 yr old daughter has an inborn metabolic disorder that she can not process phenylalanine that is found in protien. She is allowed 1 1/4 ( 125 mg) grams a day in food, the rest is in her formula that she has to drink.

We have a t-shirt made up telling people that she has a special diet to abide by and do not give her anything without asking us. Its on the front and the back of the t-shirt. hard to miss. Plus I typed up a paragraph for people to read when they are taking care of her. 

On sundays I put her shirt on her when I check her into the nursery at our church, give her snack to the head worker, Her paragraph is taped up on the wall next to the snack station so they will realize it before handing out the snacks. We been at this church 18 months. never had a problem until today. They give her animal crackers, did not tell me when I picked her up, because the 10 year old helper told her mom that she screwed up and give a little girl some cookies and she knew that she was not suppose too but she felt sad because she was not getting any like the other little kids there were about 7 in the class. They called me 2 hours to tell me about the "mistake".

I'm LIVID on three facts

1) they let young kids come and go out of the nursery as they please. They are not trained to take care of the kids

2)On the fact they know DD has a special diet,that we provide a snack every time she goes in. They give her forbidden food and not her "snack" today.

3)they told me two hours after the fact. what if they did not tell me at all?

We love the church we go to. We and our kids are very involved in the church programs. My son the youth group and the band. the daughters ask all week when church is or" Jesus school as my little one calls it

I'm the mom who counts every single mg that she can have on a daily basis. A little over or under won't hurt her but still I freak out naturally.

I want to request that they do not hand out snacks since DD might get something that can be really harmful to here or at least keep young kids from tromping in and out.

Do you think that is something I need to bring up to the nursery ministry or let it go?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lundaylove
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM

i would bring it up and make sure only adults are the ones handing out food, if they continue to do snacks. And i dont know about the kids coming in and out. Theyve never done that at any church ive been to.

imgnabamommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM

you could request that if they are going to have snacks, everyone provide their own snack. I would definately talk to them about all of the kids going in and out as they please!!

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Absolutely, bring it up to whoever is in charge of the nursery! When my dd was about a year old,I left her in the church nursery and there were teenage 'helpers'(which only 1 was a helper and the other 3 were just her friends trying to get out of going to sunday school).They sat at the little toddler table and got out paper and staple guns and staples.When they were done,they left all the stuff on the table,in the little kids' reach! Needless to say,dd got hold of a row of staples and put them in her mouth,nearly swallowing them! The adult worker caught her just in time and got all the staples out.I was very upset when I found this out and my hubby was livid! He told the person in charge of the nursery.I forget what happened(it was nearly 6 years ago) but I think they were much more watchful of the 'helpers'! geez,the teens are worse than the babies,I swear!

in love                           blowing bubbles

Nathan & Tracey 06.12.99             Grace 10.10.03

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:36 AM

It was just a mistake, but I'd still contact the nursery coordinator and if you still feel uneasy after that, contact the pastor.

I wouldn't express anger, just tell them that it's vital that your daughter not be given any snacks other than the one you provide.  Emphasize how important it is . . . and mention your concern about young children passing out snacks in the nursery.

mamakenzi
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:54 AM

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

It was just a mistake, but I'd still contact the nursery coordinator and if you still feel uneasy after that, contact the pastor.

I wouldn't express anger, just tell them that it's vital that your daughter not be given any snacks other than the one you provide.  Emphasize how important it is . . . and mention your concern about young children passing out snacks in the nursery.

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Join us on Advice for Moms -- Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)