Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: magic jack, or net talk

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM
  • 3 Replies

Has anyone used either of these?  We dont have a home phone, we use our cells at home.  We have straight talk wireless b/c its prepaid and Im DONE with contracts of ANY sort!  We want to get one of these to have a home phone b/c our cells give us trouble sometimes at home, and since Im home all the time....LOL

Here is some info on the Net talk vs Magic Jack (the TK600 is Net talk)

TK6000 VS. MAGIC JACK

To use Magic Jack, you MUST have the following:

A computer with an available USB port (no need to have a computer with TK6000) with Windows XP, Windows Vista or Intel-based Apple MAC operating system (no need to upgrade or change an operating system with TK6000).

With Magic Jack, yearly fees start immediately you will be charged an annual fee for your phone service in addition to the cost of the device. With the TK6000, after you've made your 4 easy payments of $24.95, you won't owe another penny for your phone service!

With Magic Jack, you MUST have your computer turned on to make calls. If your computer is off, you can't place a call and incoming calls go directly to voicemail.

There have been frequent complaints that Magic Jack slows down your computer - that there is a delay when calling in and a clicking while talking (clarity and quality of calls with the TK6000 is significantly better than Magic Jack WITHOUT tying up or slowing down your computer).

Magic Jack does NOT come with a warranty - only 30-day money back guarantee to return your product for a refund, and Magic Jack will NOT replace units sold by retailers if they go bad (TK6000 comes with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty at no additional cost, and you have the option to purchase a 5-year extended warranty for just $19.95).

Magic Jack's 30-day MBG starts 30 day count from ORDER DATE (we also have a 30-day MBG, but we don't start counting down the 30 days until your product is shipped, giving you more time to decide to fire your phone company).

If you are using a wireless internet signal with Magic Jack, you have to have a strong wireless signal to achieve proper performance of your Magic Jack (no need to worry about this with TK6000 because it hooks DIRECTLY into your internet connection without the need for a computer).

Information compiled from Magic Jack.

What is the TK6000?

netTALK's TK6000 provides unlimited local and long distance calling throughout the U.S. and Canada. Plug your high-speed Internet and existing home phone into the TK6000 and call anywhere in the US and Canada. We provide free directory assistance (411) and many other features that your traditional phone company can provide but without those monthly fees!

Do I need to leave my computer on to use the TK6000?

No, the beauty of netTALK's TK6000 patent pending technology is that it is designed to work with or without a computer. If the TK6000 is connected directly to a router, this saves you from having to leave your computer turned on to make and receive calls. If you are on the go, or don't have access to a router, then you can utilize a computer's internet connection via a USB port. Best of both worlds!

The Magic Jack is $50 start up costs, $20 per YEAR......Net Talk is $100 start up, FREE for life...

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
imgnabamommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:13 PM

OK, normally I don't talk about this but...I work at a 9-1-1 center and you get what you pay for. A couple of things to think about/do: 1) make sure that it is E-9-1-1 compatible, meaning that when you call your location information will show up and so will a call back number, 2) ASK them how it works with e-9-1-1 and regular 9-1-1, 3) when you get whichever one you choose do a test call, dial 9-1-1...DO NOT hang up and when the operator answers tell them this is a test call and confirm you address and call back number, and finally IF you ever move or go on a trip and take your phone service with you UPDATE your provider because you will reach 9-1-1 but you might not get the help you need because your phone is registered to a different address.

aydens_mom620
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:19 PM

thanks, here is what net talk says:

Do you support 911 calls?

Yes, the TK6000 provides E911 service where supported. You must enter and keep your address updated in the Online Customer Account Manager

and magic jack,

YES! 911 Emergency Services works with magicJack.

In an emergency, Dial 9-1-1.

NOTE:  magicJack may not work during a power or internet outage.

Dialing 9-1-1:

1. REQUIRES prior activation on your part. You must register your current service address and update your registered address if you use your magicJack from another location.

2. WILL NOT function during a broadband or power disruption/outage.

3. WILL NOT function if the magicJack is damaged or disabled.

4. IS subject to the limitations of the 911 emergency response system where your registered address is located.

You should maintain an alternate means of dialing 911 and make sure other users of your magicJack know this.

camy41075
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I have the magic jack....we got it just for my husband to call his friend in Canada b/c our cell don't provide a cheap rate. I plug it in when my mom is in town b/c her cell don't work in my town but it does work with 911 plus u have ur cells. I love it it has saved a ton of money for us

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)