Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 month old with a nasty cold....

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM
  • 20 Replies

it started as a fever of 105. the docs treated her for spinal meningitis the other day, and now she had diarreha for the past 2 days....and now she is miserable, she can't sleep laying down, she has the sniffles, and she has been hacking and coughing up phlem.....we have been giving her plenty of fluids, and using the baby vicks on her chest, which seem to help temporarily....

other than the steam shower, is there anything else we can do to make her comfy/help her breathe better and maybe sleep more than a few hours? she usually sleeps 9-10 hrs thru the night, but not the past 2 days.....

poor lil thing.....any ideas?

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dosthepost
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM

vaporizers can help... I used menthol rub on my DD, and it did work, but at some point it actually caused her to come down with pneumonia... so I don't recommend that anymore. If you put just a teensy bit on her feet with socks on, it may help, but stay FAR away from her chest. She can have saline drops (they help you to get the ick out of her nose...), tylenol... she can sleep slightly inclined (if she's in a crib, put a pillow underneath the head part of her mattress, it'll incline her a bit). Please stop putting the vicks on her chest. It may seem like it's helping, but it can make it harder for her to breath, and it can really cause her to come down with pneumonia.

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:43 AM

It's so hard when babies are sick. . .

All I knew what to do was hold my babies and nurse them extra when hey felt bad. 

Hope she feels better soon!

mamakenzi
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:47 AM

I would go back to the doctor and have them test her for RSV, it's a very serious virus.

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:13 AM

I agree...definately take her back to the doctor! Other than that, use a vaporizer in her room to make the air moist and saline drops in her nose, then suction out the mucus as best you can. Poor thing...I hope she gets well soon!!

LogansMommy0328
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:13 AM
My son had RSV it was very nasty, he couldent sleep , stuffy nose, bad cough, fever, congestion it sucked I felt bad cause there wasent much more I could do other than what I was doing but if she does have it she needs to be treated asap for it have you asked the dr about pedialyte, lukewarm baths for fever other than that your doing what you can hope she feels better

Quoting mamakenzi:

I would go back to the doctor and have them test her for RSV, it's a very serious virus.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimberly954
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:17 AM

So sorry. Been there. I put some books under her mattress to prop it up a bit to help drain the fluid at night. Also you can put saline in her nose to hopefully flush some of it out.

mom2ljh
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:20 AM

She had spinal meningitis?  I'm so sorry.  Was she still sick when she was released from the hospital or is this something different?  Have you taken her back to the ER or doctor to see if there's anything they can do?  If she's coughing a lot they may be able to give her an inhaler to help calm the cough.  My son has used one for that since 6 months.

valbeasley
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:49 AM

thank you we are calling her pedi now, gonna have her tested for RSV. I put her in a steam shower last night, just pissed her off, but we put the humidifer in her room last night, and she seemed to sleep a little better. we cant really raise the head  of her bed, as she scoots all around in there now, turns herself around, etc. but i will keep you all posted. i was worried about RSV, as it is a big killer of little babies.....so we're gonna check.

mamakenzi
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Keep us updated.

kerijeanbean
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I am also questioning the spinal meningitis.  Was she treated or tested?  If she had that she would have been hospitalized for several days. 

You can raise the head of her bed by placing a pillow under her mattress.  That is what I have done with all three of my kids.  You can also sleep her in her car seat.  Either keep it near your bed or put it in her crib.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)