Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heat Rash Vs. Sunscreen Allergy?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

My 2 year old of course LOVES to be outside like any other child. I put sunscreen on him yesterday. We were outside for about 2 hours total off and on. Last night out of the bath tub I noticed he had a 'heat rash'.  Didn't think anything of it. So I gave him one of my shirts to sleep on so he wouldn't be totally uncovered while he slept. Well today was a day he NEEDED sunscreen again being outside and it warm out no clouds yada yada. He comes home today and he is COVERED in 'heat rash'. I am very beyond confused though. All the places we put sunscreen on is broke out. The places we didn't put sunscreen on is not even effected at all. His diaper area (he wore big boy undies so it might be why) but not even red or bumpy. His legs, yes bad mommy I skipped the legs, are bump free. He sits alot so I would figure his butt and behind his knees would sweat and break out but nope. So his face, ears, cheeks, neck, shoulders, arms, armpits, chest, belly and entire back are completely bump over bumps. I looked online and an allergic reaction to sunscreen and heat rash look the same. After my OB apt in the morning, I'm going to call his Pedi and see if he can recommend a test or something to see if it is an allergy to sunscreen. In 2 days we did use 2 different kind. I thought maybe the first one would have been sunscreen so I'm not sure if he is allergic to these sunscreens or if it all in all is a heat rash. His only symptom is cuddly, a bit more needy then usual, and grumpy. Typical 2 year old right! No fever though. So do you know anyone who is allergic to sunscreen? Is there an alternative to it until we can figure out which one it is? I won't let him out side with a cover up of some sort, las thing I need is for him to have skin cancer by the time he is 5! 

pregnancy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JuneWestling
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM

BUMP!

JuneWestling
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM

No one is willing to even bump or anything? 

mama_girl07
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:07 PM

My youngest is allergic to all suncreen exept the Coppertone pure and simple. When she was little like 5 months we were outside alot so I suncreened her up, every time she would be comvered ina  red rash, I too thought heat rash. Then one day i put sunscreen on her went to go get my older child ready for the pool and before we left the house sure enough she was broken out jsut like before. I felt so bad I didnt realize it before(It had been like a month) so that day I went out and got the Coppertone pure and simple the baby kind and it works perfectly no more breaking out. The kinds I had used before were baby banana boat and  regular baby coppertone, I have tried a few different ones this summer but she is allergic to those too. What I do is jsut put a little circle of sunscreen like on her thigh or something wait about 15 mins and if she is red then I know not to use it.

JuneWestling
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:13 PM

I used cooperton, A baby spray coopertone and ocean potion sun care, we have also used a banana boat kind. This is the first time it has happened and we used the ocean potion today and both coopertone kinds yesterday. Is there an alternative to sunscreen? other than long sleeves? 

Katreyden
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Why not try and put sunscreen on him on a day you stay indoors with the air on? If he breaks out you would know it isn't heat rash. Amazon.com sells a lot of great all natural sunscreens, so if you need to switch I'd try one of those.

Jenny301
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I would try putting on the sunscreen on a day that you aren't going to be outside.  That way he won't be exposed to both things at one time.

My son breaks out too.  We are trying to determine if he is allergic to the UV protectant they put in the swim shirts.  We are going to try him wearing it inside the house once, but we have to wait for his current rash to clear.  His is flesh color, though.  But, he is really bumpy.

JuneWestling
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I feel so bad for him. He is totally fine, but the way it looks breaks my heart to know that I could have done this to him and could have prevented it. I have a few things to do this week and I'm worried about taking him outside at all while he has the bumps. I won't put sunscreen on him until it goes away and then I'll do a test spot to see. 

mama_girl07
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM

AI would get a pure and simple one. Its probably the fragrence in it or something, that is the only thing my youngest is allergic too to, She is fine with laundry detergent soap and other things with fragrence but not the suncreen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)