Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

confused about switching to solids PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:45 AM
  • 10 Replies

My DD is about 5 months now and her doc wants her to start eating solids. She told me to start infant rice cereal, and once she gets used to that, introduce baby food. I heard you had to start with fruits, then do veggies. I have been feeding DD some inf rice cereal once in the morning and then once at night before bed. The rest of the feedings are just formula. I dont know when to start feeding her baby food and what to start with. And how often do I feed her? And do I give her formula with it? Before or after? I didn't really get to ask the doc because she is always rushing around and I always forget to ask the most important questions. I just wanna know how yall introduced your baby to solids. What baby food did you start with? How often did you feed her/him? How long did you feed cereal until you switched to baby food? When did you start feeding your baby finger foods? I am just really curious about the whole food transition...

I<3myLexi :)

baby girl

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALDmama
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:49 AM

I gave her carrots first I think and waited like 3 days then tried another veggie.I say try veggies first cause fruits are to sweet..

Rhiannon1988
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:54 AM

my DD wouldn't take cereal and she started baby food at about that age.. she would eat cereal with applesauce mixed in it..

you can start with fruit and veggies and you're supposed to do one a week until you've covered them all to make sure there's no food allergies.. i didn't give DD a bottle with her food.. just when she took naps or when she got hungry other than eating baby food, and i probably fed her solids twice a day at that age.. and just more progressively as she got older.. gave her juice mixed with water at six months.. but i would change that to just water if i could go back.. 

no finger food until she has enough teeth.. probably about four. i'm not sure on that so don't quote me lol.. oh i also gave DD cereal in her bottle but i also heard later that that's not a good idea.. bad for their teeth and a choking hazard i believe.. but she did fine with it *shrugs*

Ms.Upinyourface
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:35 AM

I breastfed and my thought was to start feeding when my baby could put something in and take something out of their own mouth showing interest in eating. I would put a cooked pea on the tray of the high chair while I ate...at about age 6 months it was beets that he found interesting and wanted to eat. So I steamed and smashed beets.

Another fun thing is to offer cold water in a little cup while baby is taking a warm bath. The cold water will help baby to learn how to hold a cup without spilling. It is just TO FUN when your little baby is sitting in the restruant and drinking out of a cup! You really owe it to yourself and your public to try this. It is a show stopper!

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:36 AM

I was always told veggies first because you don't want them to like fruit which is sweet and not veggies. You stat with the ceral really milky and then thickin it as needed. Each new food should be 3-5 days before another new one. That is to watch out for allergies to food. You can have foods that are tested when introducing new ones, just make sure to wait the 3-5 days for any complications like skin developments and symptoms like that. Once your baby is eating pretty well with a spoon, you can start stage 2 foods and thicken cereal. Also, you can mix baby food into cereal to add flavor.

-PB
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:32 AM

My DD never liked cereal.  We did veggies before fruits.  We did one meal a day for about a month starting at 5 months.  Move to two meals, then three meals, and now three meals with snacks in between.  They have snacks that you can give even if they don't have teeth.  DD doesn't have teeth even though she is all most 10 months old.  We do Gerber puffs, yogurt melts, and biter biscuits.  Make sure you do one food at a time for 3 or 4 days in a row before starting a new food.  My DD has pretty much tried every fruit, veggie, and meat so at dinner she eats whatever DH and I are having just pureed.  At breakfast and lunch she has formula but at dinner she has water.  Of course you don't want to give water until after 6 months so just give formula or breast milk for now.  She usually drinks about half as much formula when she has a meal.  Good luck!

RiverPhenix
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Both of my children's firsts were a french fry. LOL  They were at my parents one day and when I got there to pick them up my mom said it is time for solids, they love french fries. LOL And they still do!!! :0)  I also started with veggies. My son had a hard time going #2 so my first fruit was pears, which helped tremendously. Good luck.

MNLETLE
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM
I never do rive cereal. Empty crappy calories. Also, it is ideal to wait until 6+ months to start solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Quoting MNLETLE:

I never do rive cereal. Empty crappy calories. Also, it is ideal to wait until 6+ months to start solids.

Tastes crappy too!  Unless you enjoy the taste of cardboard!

Tiger420
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM
LOL that's why I started out by adding baby food to the cereal.

Quoting -PB:

Quoting MNLETLE:

Tastes crappy too!  Unless you enjoy the taste of cardboard!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mldubaupack
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Do not feed your baby solids until he/she can pick up the food and put it in her mouth. If you're unsure which foods to feed first after introducing baby cereal some baby foods make it easy by listing the stage on the food. Like gerber has stage 1, 2, and 3 and then they also have symbols for sitter, crawler, walker, and then toddler. I found paying attention to those markers helped me figure out what my baby was ready for or not. We started with cereal in the morning and a mid day meal int he afternoon. First was veggies and then we move to fruits and then after introducing all those new taste we started getting some of the mixed fruit and veggies. Our Doctor didn't want us to start baby food before 6 months and then solids after 9 months. But our lo gave us the signs at 5 months that she was ready to get started. After we started baby foods she advanced pretty quickly. I think we were at stage 1 for almost a month and a half and then when she was able to sit without us holding her we started stage 2 which is more mixed frutis and veggies, mac & chesse, and some of the meats.  By then we were feeding 3 meals a day. Cereal or mixed fruits with milk for breakfast and then mixed veggies or meat and veggies for lunch and dinner with milk in between. Just remember that the main part of your babies diet is still formula/breast milk.  Your baby still while eating should be getting at least 24-32 oz of milk each day. Then when it came time for us to start stage 3 we did it for about a week or two and then our lo was not having it anymore. She would not let us feed her by spoon anymore and just wouldn't even open her mouth. She was already grabbing things and putting things in her mouth showing us she was ready for us to introduce solids. So we did and it's been a adventure ever since. I hope this helps...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)