Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help---My 2 year doesn't want to Potty Train!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:46 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hello--

I am fairly new to cafemom and glad that this is agreat group! I need some advice as to get my 2 year old son to potty train. He doesn't want to use it. He rather have diapers on than to go to the potty. I have tried to put regular underwear on him but he goes so much just for the sheer puddle of it. Any suggestions?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
XandersMommy37
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:02 AM

He just might not be ready yet to be potty trained. My oldest son was a nightmare to potty train,,,he had trouble telling the difference between the feeling of having to go #1 and #2,,,we tried potty training  when he was 2 and it took an entire year to get him fully trained. Now my youngest son he pretty much potty trained himself,,,he was 19 months old and one day he pulled his diaper off and started using his potty chair all on his own,,,we went to put a diaper on him and he just kept pulling them off,,,and amazingly enough he has never had a single accident. I would suggest allowing him to be in the bathroom when you or daddy need to use the bathroom,,,show him that the two of you use the potty,,,,keep his potty chair where he can use it easily . Just keep trying and get the pullups,,,those will help with the accidents, :)

Ms.Upinyourface
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Little Grover  I"VE GOT TO GO

Everybody poops. Start reading these two books every day.

Talk about it with him a lot.  Ask him about how he feels about how he is growing up now and that using the potty is a big boy skill that takes some time to learn.

First the feelings. How it feels when "you got to go" then taking off the pants and getting on the potty. Or aim and shoot. Cleaning up. And hand washing.

I sang a silly song about it with my little guy I made up. Told potty adventure stories.

One of my friends told him that what was SO GREAT about using the potty is never sitting in poo ever again.

Another of my friends asked " what is so hard for parents to notice when their kid is ready? It happens everyday. They drink...they pee. They eat...they poop.

Having your guy wash his hands after each diaper change. Let him pick out and show ability to do what all that potty requires of him. Involvement in the process. And the interest will spark. Just stay patient and ready to assist as he gets this skill set working.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM

WAIT is my advice. He clearly isn't interested. Wait a month or two and try again.

momma2boys610
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM

he's just doesn't seem to be ready! mine is 2 and isn't ready..my first son was 3 by the time he learned...I have a feeling it will be that way with my second son!  Boys I hear are harder to train than girls.  If he's not interested don't force it, he'll be ready when he wants to be!! It'll be ok.  :)

BaileynMe
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Honey, my DD is 2 1/2 and isn't interested either. Give him some time. You can try training for a week or so and if it doesn't seem to take, then take a break. Statistically, boys potty train later than girls (average age is around 35-37 months) so just try not to be frustrated, and DON'T make it a battle of wills. If he's not ready, he's just not ready. 

OhioMom_2010
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM

He's not ready yet.  Try again in a few months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)