Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At wits end...

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

I just don't know what to do with my 6 year old. He is always going at 100mph and often gets himself in trouble. When he gets in trouble, he goes into this mode where nothing matters and he wants to kill himself and the world is coming to an end. Right now he is in his room because him and his sister woke up this morning and acted like pure fools. Running and screaming and throwing things throughout the house. He is in his room saying (well actually screaming) "I hate stuff, I am so dumb". He doesn't listen to a word I say. He always has to talk back and have the last word. I am at wits end with this kid. I know that he cannot help some of it (he has ADHD/ODD), but there has to be an answer.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tandc08
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM

if you havent tried yet...i would start taking away his favorite toys and pretend to throw them out so he doesnt think hes just gonna get it back...and when hes good reward him by giving it back.

theycallmemom4
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:46 PM

What meds is he on? I wonder if it's side effect of the medicine. And if he's not on anything, maybe you should try some and see how it goes.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Is he on meds for his ADHD/ODD?

k_hall1784
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM
He isn't on anything. When he was four he did an out-patient program for children with this problem. It helped them to deal with their anger and it also helped them to cope when things didn't go their way. It was 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. He did it for 6 months. He is actually a whole lot better than he was back then because of the program. He would hurt other children and his pre-k teachers and us (his family. I almost got into a few accidents because of his rage while I was driving). They kicked him out of daycare and pre-k for his behavioral issues. I didn't want to give him meds bevause I didn't want to "go that route". I wanted to try other options.

Quoting theycallmemom4:

What meds is he on? I wonder if it's side effect of the medicine. And if he's not on anything, maybe you should try some and see how it goes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SHAEDON
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I would recommend regular counseling for him maybe on a weekly basis if possible.

xoch86
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

u may have not wanted to go "that route" in the past, but ur son clearly needs it. poor thing. he's suffering and NEEDS help. try counceling or put him back into the outpatient program if u have to. u cant just sit back and do nothing or its just gonna get worse.

Quoting k_hall1784:

He isn't on anything. When he was four he did an out-patient program for children with this problem. It helped them to deal with their anger and it also helped them to cope when things didn't go their way. It was 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. He did it for 6 months. He is actually a whole lot better than he was back then because of the program. He would hurt other children and his pre-k teachers and us (his family. I almost got into a few accidents because of his rage while I was driving). They kicked him out of daycare and pre-k for his behavioral issues. I didn't want to give him meds bevause I didn't want to "go that route". I wanted to try other options.

Quoting theycallmemom4:

allisa90
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM

If he's so active perhaps a sport of some sort? he obviously needs to burn energy off ALOT my sister is ADHD too and she's 12 but still acts like that. Being active and around other children help her alot. If he likes throwing things try little league? Its just something I guess they go through and they need reassurance that even though they make mistakes they're still loved and not dumb. When my sister feels like that I cuddle with her and watch her favorite movie or TV shows with her.

Pita_Dragonfly
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Have you changed  his  diet  and taken  away  red  dye and other dyes?

Have you checked into  IS THIS YOUR CHILD  by Doris  Rapp?

http://www.dorisrappmd.com/

okhsmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Calm, consistent parenting is key.  Has he been evaluated by an occupational therapist for sensory issues?  Sometimes kids need really strong stimuli to actually calm them.  Keep searching for answers!

k_hall1784
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM
I have changed his diet. But there are people around me who won't keep it up. I will send him somewhere and someone will give him what he shouldn't have. It's very frustrating when someone thinks they know more about your kid than you do. I have never read the book but I will check it out.

Quoting Pita_Dragonfly:

Have you changed  his  diet  and taken  away  red  dye and other dyes?

Have you checked into  IS THIS YOUR CHILD  by Doris  Rapp?

http://www.dorisrappmd.com/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)