Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommies who have experince with bug bites .. I need help.

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

Yesterday at my mom's my son was bit/stung by something on his ankle. One side has a bite mark, the other side has a scratch ... I can't tell which is causing the swelling but his foot/ankle is huge! The scratch is oozing, which worries me. I'v been giving him benadryl but it's not doing much .... would the oozing be a sign of infection? It's clear, water like. 

Since it's the wkend the only way I can get him in to see a dr. is the ER which im trying to avoid. 

Any advise? 

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
theycallmemom4
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Pictures?

Also draw a circle around it, if it get bigger, then you need to take him in. Oh and does it feel warm to the touch?

momof4kids257
by Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM

If your trying to avoid the er I'd take him to a walk in clinic. It doesn't sound normal..the swelling could be a bad sign. not to scare you but my child was bitten by a unknown spider at the time and swelled up. But then another one of mine was bitten by a red ant and had blood poisoning. Both of them had to be treated with a shot right away and antibiotics.

tandc08
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM

my son had a bite on his knee that was about the size of a nickle.... it made his entire knee look swollen.. this was about a month ago and it kept gettin bigger. So i cleaned it with peroxide and then sprayed it with disinfectent spray and it went away but theres still a mark that it left behind. The oozing is prolly the poison from the insect that needs to drain... so i would do the peroxide to clean it out good. If it doesnt help then id take him in.

LilGina
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM

go to urgent care your usualy in and out in no more than 2 hours

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:32 PM

If it's oozing, I think I'd take him in.

Mom2Jade08
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Benadryl cream or is it syrup?

Mom2Jade08
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I would try both kinds of benadryl and keep site clean... Make sure hands are clean, nails carry a lot of dirt and infection...

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I would take him in. Here's why. I had a small pimple on my face that I left alone. By the next day it had turned into an itch rash that had crept up the side of my face and started to ooze clear yellow liquid. My DH took me to the Doctor and we found out that it was impetego. I hadn't scratched anything so it was weird that it did this but I later found out that Impetego is more likely to happen in Humid climes like where I live now. So take him in now and have it looked at. By the time I had mine looked at it was infected enough that I had to spend 3 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics.

MrsNewman
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Little update: His swelling has started to go down :) yay. Just gave him some more benadryl and soaked it in water for awhile. Hopefully it keeps getting better! Now that the swelling has gone down I see lots of little bug bites. I have no idea what got him, but whatever it was it got him good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)