Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child have a turtle?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM
  • 5 Replies

My DD be 4 aug 1. We went to the fair yesterday and she lost her sh*t at a reptile/ crazy a** animal exhibit lol. She pet all the snakes, tarantulas, cockroaches. (this is my PRINCESS child lol)

Anyway, she became VERY attached to a turtle. Cried for one when we left. She's been periodically keeping bugs as pets recently, caterpillars and ladybugs.

I think this could be the right animal for her, seems sturdy enough lol. I'm about to run out and price and what not.

What does you kid have, how old are they, all that? Pros? Cons? Pix? TIA!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tandc08
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:40 PM

my son doesnt have any pets yet... but i thought about getting a lizard of some sort.. they dont stink like hamsters and rabbits but the kids can still hold them. I had turtles when i was young... from 3 til prolly 13. They are good pets as long as there kept clean and there upkeep with food and supplies isnt expensive.

momofboys21
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:48 PM

make sure you wash her hands well after she touches the turtle, egg bearing animals can pass salmonella onto people

Bama.Mommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM

My younger brother has a turtle...he's had it for about 4 years now. My stepmom helps him take care of it, and it is pretty cute and playful. It lives in a huge aquarium, they have water in the bottom of it and then rocks on one side so it can choose if it wants to be in the water or not. My stepmom said that they do not really smell, and they clean out the aquarium about once every three weeks. As far as what they eat and everything I'm not really sure, but they say that he is pretty easy and low maintenence.

BaileynMe
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Quoting momofboys21:

make sure you wash her hands well after she touches the turtle, egg bearing animals can pass salmonella onto people

This is the biggest thing that keeps me away from reptiles. When I was a kid we did keep a turtle in a little wading pool for about a week before he escaped, lol. Mom made us wash anytime we touched him or anything in the wading pool. 

We just have a dog right now, though I've considered fish because she LOVES them. I just don't have the money to buy the setup new, and all the ones on CL currently are over 30 gallons, and I don't have the room to accommodate that. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

AuntieV
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)