Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fetal fibronectin test?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM
  • 4 Replies

Okay, so I am on a visit right now to see my mom in missouri, and I live in Arizona. I have been here since June 7th and am scheduled to fly home on July 7th. Now, I am 24 weeks pregnant and have had 2 bleeding episodes since I have been here and been to the hosptial twice and have since been put on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy because I have a problem with my placenta being too low and that is what is causing the bleeding and they are worried about the placenta separating from the uterus. So, I have been worried about making it home on the plane. I have been faxing my dr. back home and she isn't sure that I would be completly okay flying home....so she faxed me a test she wants done 24-72 hours before my flight, called a fetal fibronectin test and a cervix check to make sure that my cervix is closed and that the test comes back negative...then I will be okay flying home. I have no idea what the heck a fetal fibronectin test is and have no idea what it means...anyone have any ideas? I am hoping and praying that these tests come out okay so that I can make it home because I have been gone for a month and left my love and my new puppy at home and miss them very much and I am worried about being so far from my dr. while all of these complications are going on... my mom lives in a small town in missouri and the hospital here is not that great, they are a little confused and untrustworthy in my book. So, needless to say, I am wanting to get home.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lundaylove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM

the FFN test is a swab they do kinda similar to a pap. It checks for a hormone your body produces (most often but not always) before you go into labor.

If you get a positive FFN that means you are at a higher risk of delivering within 2wks, if its negative you shouldnt go into labor within those 2 wks. It is not 100% but its got a good rate of being correct.

I got a pos. FFn at 27wks 5 days and at 28wks exactly i went into labor again and delivered my twins. With my son i got a neg one at 22wks and 30wks when i went into preterm labor and then at 33wks i had a positive one and i did go into labor but they were able to stop it and i went to 38wks exactly before delivering.

good luck!!

HeartsLove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM

They swab your cervix, and test for a hormone the baby puts off that could tell them if you're likely to go into labor in the next 14 days. I had them during my 2nd pregnancy, and they're not always accurate. 2 days after my last negative FFN, he was born at 35 weeks. Good luck

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Hope it all works out ok!

ashleya1982
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Thanks ladies for all that helpful information! I love this site! I definately feel better informed and not so nervous! I appreciate all the help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)