• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Permenant heart monitor

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM
  • 24 Replies

My CHD group is dead, no one posts anymore. So I'm gonna try posting this here...

My DD was put on a permenant heart monitor this week. He called it a loop something or other, can't remember. She wears it 24/7, only taking it off to bathe. I'm not sure how I feel about this, I'm happy that we'll know for sure if she's having random arrythmias, but a little bit overwhelmed that this is happening already. Has anyone been thru this particular type of heart monitor? I asked him if it was a Holter monitor, she's had 2 of those and she only wears them for 24 hours, but he said no that she'll wear this all the time. They didn't make a follow-up appointment, but she has an existing appointment in November, so I'm assuming she's going to wear this til at least November....

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sharonk101
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM

BUMP!

jroach
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM

BUMP! I have never dealt with this situation, but hopefully someone else can help!

rash232
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I've never dealt with it either mama. Here's a bump, and I would be calling the doctor back and saying you have questions that you didn't think to ask in the stress of the moment and you didn't quite understand the explanations. Even if you just get a nurse on the line, you can at least ask questions. 

Mandola21
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM

BUMP!

okhsmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

My dd had to wear a pulse ox monitor 24/7 for 6 years.  It became second nature for us, like putting on shoes and socks.  I bet in no time you'll be accustomed to it.  Good luck.

HeartsLove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I'm not confused about it, it's just nice to connect with other people who know about this. It's a pain in the ass tho, because it's not pediatric size and it's always coming undone and the leads fall off... ugh. I've asked the company what I could do but they have no ideas. I told them they should take my complaints and start looking into how they can make this more kid-friendly lol

kirstn007
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM

idk but i hope it gives you the answers you and the Drs need

Laylas_mami28
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:55 PM

My dd has had supra-ventricular tachycardia since she was a week old, she was put on a monitor too. But the doctor since she was 3 weeks old changed one of her medicine that than God has been working for her. We were in and out the pediatric emergency room 5-7 when was 2-3 weeks old, that's why the dr changed her meds. But when she was about 3-4 mos her dr took it off because the new med she was on  was working very well for her. She does sometimes have to a holter monitor put on for only 24 hrs and of course when she goes to her drs, they do an ekg and an echo. do you know exactly the name arrhythmia?

HeartsLove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM

My daughter has a very rare heart defect called Congenitally Corrected Transposition, her arrythmias are due to her heart failure. Getting an idea of how often and how strong her arrythmias are helps us determine how far off her transplant should be, and if there's a way to prevent them so we can push off the transplant a little longer. She turned 4 three weeks ago

Quoting Laylas_mami28:

My dd has had supra-ventricular tachycardia since she was a week old, she was put on a monitor too. But the doctor since she was 3 weeks old changed one of her medicine that than God has been working for her. We were in and out the pediatric emergency room 5-7 when was 2-3 weeks old, that's why the dr changed her meds. But when she was about 3-4 mos her dr took it off because the new med she was on  was working very well for her. She does sometimes have to a holter monitor put on for only 24 hrs and of course when she goes to her drs, they do an ekg and an echo. do you know exactly the name arrhythmia?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)