Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I make my daughter choose a activity?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter has been in gymnastics for quit sometime... she is 7 yrs old and started at 3.. They wanted to test her for team today and she made it  on level 4.. As alot of you might know gymnastics teams take up alot of time and money.. I am not quiet sure she is ready to go from 1 hr a week to 6 hrs a week. My 7  yr old is in love with horses and has been taking lessons for a while as well... Should i make her choose ? Since the team is going to be taking up so much time please help with advice and comment

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
okhsmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Why choose?  Why not *not* join the team, but continue recreationally and also keep up with horsemanship?  Soon enough she'll figure out where her biggest interests lie at which point you can reevaluate. 

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I guess it really depends on your finances and time! Maybe she can take one or the other later as she gets older.

YourMyTrouble
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:03 PM
Do both! I showed horses my whole life( very competive also) had to quit a lot of other things, like soccer, volleyball ect ect..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsArnett
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM

BUMP!

Yozhick
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:45 PM

I personally think kids today have too much pressure on them and are loosing their childhood. Who decided to start her in gymnastics at age 3? I do not know to many children that age who would choose classes over playing...I have a three year old and there is no way I would start her in any kind of formal classes yet because she is too young to know what she wants. You state she is in love with horses,,,so I am assuming that the horse riding lessons were something she chose to do versus something you chose when she was a toddler. 7 is more than old enough for her to have a choice and an opinion so ask her what she thinks is best for her.

MrsArnett
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM

I really am thankful for your honest answer.... She starting doing gymnastics at 3 because she was so hyper and i started taking her to kids day at first then she asked to go to gymnastics there. The horse lessons is something she choose and she just lights up when she is on a horse she loves them so much feeds them and visits them mutliple times a day ....But she rocks at gymnastics and really loves it as well... I am not a pushy mom... like last yr she did take a break from gymnastics and tried out for a allstar cheer team.. she loves it but i believe they were trying to make my little girl look grown:(

Quoting Yozhick:

I personally think kids today have too much pressure on them and are loosing their childhood. Who decided to start her in gymnastics at age 3? I do not know to many children that age who would choose classes over playing...I have a three year old and there is no way I would start her in any kind of formal classes yet because she is too young to know what she wants. You state she is in love with horses,,,so I am assuming that the horse riding lessons were something she chose to do versus something you chose when she was a toddler. 7 is more than old enough for her to have a choice and an opinion so ask her what she thinks is best for her.

Ms.Upinyourface
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM

It is important to follow through with training if this is her area of strength her ability to concentrate on the gymnastics now will keep propelling her forward even if eventually she pursues some other physical form training. I would let her tell you and follow through.

I would not stop her adding new activities and spending regular time on them as these are foundation skill sets she will carry forward her whole life. If both can be done, do them both. The horses less at first and see where she strikes her balance with her life. I loved being involved with lots of different things as a girl and it is wise way to encourage diversity while maintaining an increasing level of expertise in the one she is well on her way to mastery.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:59 PM
My son has been going to gymnastics since 18 months. He loves it and it gets us out of the house. Gives him a chance to socialize with other kids. He loves it!

Quoting Yozhick:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)