• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding- is she getting enough?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:13 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hello. I recently gave birth to a baby girl and I don't seem to be producing enough breastmilk. Any ideas on how to make more?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicaquinn
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Research on the internet the right foods to eat and nurse more.  I breast fed my son and it started off slow and pretty soon I was overflowing.  You need to make sure you're taking in enough calories and eating right.  You can always supplement with formula if you still think she is not getting enough. 

mama_l
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Why do you believe you are not producing enough?

YourMyTrouble
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:22 PM
There is a great groundxalled I make milk, they will help u wonders! And FYI if you don't think your making enough never give formula because that will lower your supply!!

Iwould suggest talking fernugreek to up your supply. If u do have a low supply. Always count diapers that how uknow inthe end!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jill040810
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I feed until she pulls away, but less than an hour later, she wants to eat again! I've tried pumping in between feedings to make more, but then I have no milk for her next feeding. It seems like an endless cycle.

masastan
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Consult a lactation consultant. Most insurances cover it, or contact your local heath dept on Monday. How often is she feeding? If she is eating every hour or so, then she is probably getting enough. Breast fed babies eat more often than formula fed babies do because of the fat content in formula. There isn't any in breastmilk. The sucking will produce the breastmilk. You can try pumping inbetween feedings to see if that helps as well. Good luck!

mama_l
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM

How old is baby?   What you described sounds completely normal and nothing to worry about especially right after birth.

Pumping is NEVER an indication of supply so don't worry if you can't pump much or anything at all. 

YourMyTrouble
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM
Thats normal! Unless she's having less the 6-8 wet/dirty diapers a day then u have a low supply!

Quoting Jill040810:

I feed until she pulls away, but less than an hour later, she wants to eat again! I've tried pumping in between feedings to make more, but then I have no milk for her next feeding. It seems like an endless cycle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
masastan
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Quoting Jill040810:

Ok, see she is eating fine! Breast fed babies feed  more often! I know its exhausting, I have breast fed three of my four and will with this next one. But it is totally worth it! Count her wet diapers a day like another mom said and I also don't recommend supplementing formula. Call her Dr or yours if you need more help and see who they can recommend you talk to.

Tiger420
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM
How long ago did you have your baby? My DS is 5 weeks old and he did this a lot for the first couple weeks and then it slowed down. He still does it every now and then but not like he did at first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Normal.

Expect that for at least the first 4-6 weeks, and then again during growth spurts. Nurse on demand, even if it's only been 15-20 minutes since her last feed. That's how she builds your supply.

She should be having at least 6-8 wet diapers every 24 hours (if she's over 6 days old) and that's the best way to know for sure she's getting enough.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)