Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure what to do fast heartrate

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:35 AM
  • 9 Replies

im 38 and this is the second time today I am having a very fast heartrate, it just came on like nothing Im not sure if I should go to the ER? Now Im getting freaked out and I think its getting faster could it be a panic attack? please anyone respond soon! 

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
emilex
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM

If your regular doctor has an on call service I would call and ask the on call doctor.  Do you have any other symptoms besides the fast heart beat?  It certainly could be a panic attack. 

Allergic2Stupid
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM

I would go get checked just in case.  You shouldn't risk your health when it comes to heart related issues.  It could very well be that the panic is making it worse but err on the side of caution.  I've seen the end result of a young husband and new father who didn't feel well but decided he didn't need to get checked out.  He wasn't even 35 and he died in the bathroom of his home.  There is no such thing as too careful when it comes to stuff like that.  

Are you on any medication for anything right now?  Prescription?  Over the counter?  Any herbal products consumed today?

2and2onway
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Have you had enough water? I had this happen and I was very dehydrated, although I didnt know it.

JSTAN
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:43 AM

I usually take wellbutrin but I havent taken it in a couple of days I dont feel like my head is panicing went to a kids bday party today maybe bad food?

Kennewickgal
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Slow your breathing down.  Deep breaths in and out.  Your not going to help your heart rate if you panic and get yourself all worked up.  Take your temp.  I know that sounds a little silly but its a good thing to check.  When was the last time you ate,,, again sounds silly but you need to be aware of when you ate,, and what you ate,, certain foods can cause allergic reactions that cause swelling,, is there anything that has been going on that has caused you stress?   Does your family have a history of high blood pressure or heart problems?  Or diabetes? Any medications of any kind? Ask yourself these things,,, and then if you can't calm yourself down,,, and the heartbeat continues,,, call your doctor,, if he isn't " on call" than it wouldn't hurt to go to an emergency clinic

lind.shep
by Lindsey on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:55 AM
This is usually how my anxiety attacks start
JSTAN
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:01 AM

temp normal, starting to feel a little better but still freaked out, lost my mom in Feb. due to heart failure ever since then I flip out whenever something is wrong with me

okhsmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Quoting JSTAN:

I usually take wellbutrin but I havent taken it in a couple of days I dont feel like my head is panicing went to a kids bday party today maybe bad food?

Wellbutrin has a significant black box warning.  How come you skipped a couple of days?  Maybe that is part of this?  Maybe these are withdrawal symptoms?  I think you should check in with your prescribing doc and tell him you aren't taking the meds daily.  Maybe hit and miss is a no no?? 

Allergic2Stupid
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:06 AM

You're supposed to wean off it slowly not just stop taking it.  You may not consciously be aware of anxiety or panic but I'm betting the two are related.

Wellbutrin® (bupropion hydrochloride) abruptly can lead to withdrawal symptoms. Although the manufacturer does not warn about the possibility of withdrawal from Wellbutrin, it is possible that withdrawal symptoms may occur.

Withdrawal symptoms of antidepressants can include:

I believe in eating dessert first, because life is too short.  I am Canadian, support the military, believe in the death penalty, and carry a gun for a living.  I love animals, hate bullies and abusive people, and think the world would be a much happier place to live if everyone paid more attention to themselves and less to what everyone else does.

Add your quick reply below:
      You must be a member to reply to this post.
      Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
      Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)