Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I really need some advice re: potty training my dd!!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:34 AM
  • 4 Replies

hey ladies. I started potty training my daughter yesterday, she will be 3 in October and has started to really show signs lately of being ready soo I thought I would spend Saturday, Sunday and I took off work on Monday. Working full time really does make it difficult to potty train. But anyways, she didn't do too bad for the first day yesterday. I put her in regular underwear because IMO, Pull-ups are waaay too close to diapers - I was only planning on using Pull-ups at nighttime. So we went through about 3-4 pairs of underwear yesterday. Not too bad! She pooped in the first pair but then told me that she had to go potty immediately so we flushed it. The next pair she told me she had to go potty and as I was running her into the house from outside, she peed on the way We even ran ot the store yesterday for about an hour and I was feeling brave so she of course stayed in underwear. Same thing happened with the next pair. Then we were in the house and she told me she had to go pee pee but peed on the living room floor instead of going to the potty so I just put her on the potty right after to show her where she's suppose to go.

I asked her if she had to go potty before her bath she said no. I said ok, just tell me when you need to go so I can put you on the potty. After she got out of the tub, I grabbed a pull-up and tried explaining to her that these are her "nightime panties ONLY" she said "oh that's a diaper" I said "no, they're nightime panties, not diapers" haha yaaa, ok- that didn't go over well. She put them on like underwear but insisted it was a diaper. I heard her in the corner in the living room grunting, trying to take a poop so I hurried and put her on the potty so she went in the potty and was excited at that point. I then put the dry pull-up back on her and after praising her for being a big girl, I explained that pull-ups are nightime panties only. She then peed in them and asked me to change her diaper... ughh.... so, at that point I felt like the whole first day was ruined and this is never going to work. I really don't know what to do about the nightime now. I let her go to bed with regular underwear and she stayed dry in them until about 3 am so I ended up changing her sheets and her clothes then putting regular underwear on with a pull-up over. She didnt realize the pull-up was on til this morning. But, she did wake up dry at 7 am.

She has to go back to daycare on Tuesday and I'm dreading putting her back in diapers/pull ups. I really just wanted to go right to panties. I was thinking of even getting those cotton training panties and even the vinyl pants that go over them if need be- BUT I still don't know what to do about the nightime situation. I can't put something on her that she thinks is a diaper if I'm telling her that diapers are for babies and she's a big girl now!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! thank you!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
squidsmommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:07 AM

I don't know if I can help because my daughter potty trained herself when she just turned 2. Anyway, this is how we did it, she ran around naked, we had a potty in the living room and I asked her about every 5 minutes if she needed to pee. If she said no too many times, I would have her sit and try anyway. Don't always take her word for it that she doesn't have to go, she may not recognize the feeling of having to go until it's too late. We used diapers at night for almost a year after because she would have bottles of water at night, so we needed them. Get yourself a plastic matress cover for her bed and maybe you can explain to her that diapers are for babies who wear them during the day, diapers at night are for girls who are becoming big girls and until she's all the way big, she needs a diaper at night because she pees when she's asleep.

bec94
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM
If it becomes stressful or a battle of wills, take a break. Pull ups were a big fail for us... It was fun to make the flowers go away. My dd just turned 3 and 1 week after decided she was done with diapers. Week 3 is starting and she has been in underwear even for naps and night this whole time. A few daytime accidents the first few days but we had no night ones. Every now and then I ask if she has to go but she pretty much goes herself when she feels it. No bribes either. I do put the pull ups on over her underwear as protectve underwear when we go out . Huggies has a potty training video, although we never got to open it because the day after it came was when she decided to wear underwear. Hmm maybe all the potty talk got to her. Oh, also have your little one pick out some new underwear and seat for the big potty. That seemed to reinforce it with my dd. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I would get her the cloth training panties that have the rubber cover built in. And use them even at night. If you need a bit of extra absorbency, put a folded up cloth diaper in the middle of them. Get a sticker chart or just a book of stickers and give her one every time she goes on the potty. I've seen charts that give the child a sticker for just sitting on the potty, but if you give her one for just sitting on it she will want a sticker for using the thing has a seat, not a potty. Pull ups are glorified diapers and a total waste of money since they are exactly what she is telling you, a diaper. Get her some panties with something she likes on them and tell her not to pee pee on her dora, princess, whatever because they will be sad and cry. It worked for my 2 potty trained kids because they didn't want their princesses to cry or be sad because they were wet.

A proud Christian, Republican, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Natural, Drug free Childbirthing, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, Anti-vax, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls and wife to my Marine!

It's a child not a choice.

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference.

calledmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:38 AM

My friend's little girl really LOVED M&M's, she put a jar of M&M's on the back of the big girl potty and everytime she went in the potty she got A M&M the first week, the next week she TWO M&M's  and so until she was going regularly in the potty, then when she no longer had accidents she was allowed to go to WalMart and pick out one Big Girl Prize for learning to go in the potty.  Everynow and then she will have accidents, she then has to sit on the potty until she goes potty and is reminded she is a big girl and only goes potty in the big girl potty not her panties. Mostly her accidents are when she is busy playing and forgets to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)