Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

formula after 12 months

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:02 AM
  • 15 Replies

has anyone given their babies formula past 12 months of age? I have similac Advance that only goes to 12 months but my daughter turns on in a week and she hasnt shown signs of wanting to ease away from it lol she loves the stuff.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alyssasmommy412
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:05 AM

I didn't personally but they do have a formula for 9-24 months. I know alot of people starting doing half formula half milk until running out of formula and then go straight to whole milk. DD 1 was breastfeed and she was on whole milk at a year and weaned completely by 14 months.

mom2ljh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:05 AM

My son was on Nutramigen until 15 months, then hemp milk, but I know sometimes formula (especially hypo-allergenics, like Nutramigen) is used well beyond that.  Similac isn't going to hurt her beyond 12 months, but if she has a varied, healthy diet, there is no *need* for it.

Ljensen09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:15 AM

BUMP!

fairymom2316
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM

For both of my kids, I ended up switching them to whole milk slowly, not right away..

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Well I would gradually wean her off.  There are toddler formulas available now but not sure where you can buy them.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Erin was drinking whole milk with meals at 9-10 months old but still drinking her formula.  At one yr I switched her to toddler formula just because with her reflux I felt she still wasn't eating enough actual food to sustain.  So until last month she still got her milk with meals and toddler formula( I bought at grocery store) until she finally has worked up to eating enough food.  Now she will be 15 months on the first and has been off formula for a month.

As far as using reg formula after 12 months old it won't hurt your LO but you really should start weaning down now because they wont eat like they should if you are giving them all their calories and nutrients in liquid form.

KeatonsMama404
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Thank you for posting this. My son is on Nutramigen as well and I want him on it a little longer, he is only 10 months but I am thinking of keeping him on it until I run out of cans and then do the switch if we even can by then. His gasteroenterologist is putting him on the dairy challenge right before his birthday so well see.

Quoting mom2ljh:

My son was on Nutramigen until 15 months, then hemp milk, but I know sometimes formula (especially hypo-allergenics, like Nutramigen) is used well beyond that.  Similac isn't going to hurt her beyond 12 months, but if she has a varied, healthy diet, there is no *need* for it.

Mom2Jade08
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Similac has a formula called Go and Grow, it goes up to 24 months... I used it on my little girl and she loved it... I used it because she was on the soy formula and she did not like regular soy milk... I asked the doc and he said it was good to use... Now that she is past 24 I switched her to regular soy, but she does not like it... She gags when she takes a sip of milk... So I give her yogurts, cheese, ice cream, and fruit smoothies (fruit,yogurt, ice, juice)...

Osstie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I think they make formula for babies over ayear.. isn't it called next step or something? Sorry, I don't remember. I gave my first son soy milk during his 2nd year because cows milk made him constipated. Good luck :)

zolanmel
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM

my daughter is 21 months and still on formula. shes on a special formula. and is/was  failure to thrive she will be on formula after she turns two at least

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)