Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ughhh...ungrateful people!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM
  • 11 Replies

me and my husband live with his grandmother until he gets out of school(hopefully december)i do all the housework,all the dishes,ect and i mow the front yard with a push mower and the back yard(1 acre)with a riding mower all for free in 95 degree weather out of the kindness of my heart because dh does so much already and thats something i can take off his shoulders.I mowed it yesterday and all i heard this mornign is can you not see? you left a strip here and there blah blah blah! geez its hard to see where you left off plus the mower doesent turn good i do the best i can and all she does is gripes.I never get a thank you or anything.

bsm_iammommy.gifbsm_motherhood.gifoccblink20.gifblinkie26.gifbsm_momtoboys.gifhubbyblinkie.gif

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dosthepost
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Living with family is almost never a good idea.

bigmommasmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Shes old :) Let her gripe.

Mommy2twoboyz22
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM

oh believe me i know and i dident want to at all but dh talked me into it because he said we really need to save money for when he gets out of school

Quoting dosthepost:

bsm_iammommy.gifbsm_motherhood.gifoccblink20.gifblinkie26.gifbsm_momtoboys.gifhubbyblinkie.gif

curlz333
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM
some in laws only see the stuff you dont do, they never seem to acknowledge how much you to help out... when i lived with my in laws, my husbands mom only seem to acknowledge that i didnt clean or pick after all of them when she would want to clean herself (which was very very rare)... she use to be like well why didnt you do it like this or put it like this or i like it this way.... hello a thank you wouldnt hurt atleast did it..... once i left the dishes pile up to see if anyone would do them (there 7 ppl not including me, my hubby, & 2 kids), i swear those dishes just kept piling up for four days & she would b***ch about it every day, but yet she didnt have a problem contributing to the cause.... we lived with them for 3 yrs & i hated every minute of it.... i just wish you the best of luck honestly....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Jade08
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Quoting dosthepost:

I agree, hopefully you will be out of there when your husband finishes school...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Think of it this way. You are giving her a chance to assert herself. You are making her feel good because she can gripe and feel important.  Murmur that you are sorry and let it go.  Be sure that in addition to doing chores that you are also paying rent and your share of utilities and groceries.  It is just possible that if you don't do these things that she is harboring some unpleasant thoughts about people living off of her- just a thought- and this might be the source of the complaining and lack of thanks. If you aren't paying your share (I mean your family when I say "you") then it might be building up in her. If you already do, then it is probably just a way to assert herself  when her home is being used by others. Be sure to ask her opinion of everything. If you are doing the cooking, ask her what she wants or what she thinks would be good for meals. Remember that it is her home first, and since you are sensing this animosity, make her feel that you understand it is her home and that you are just visitors, but getting her opinion and permission. 

superexcitedmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:56 AM
sorry! :( my sister lives with my mom now & they do the same to her... they actually use to do the same to me when i lived there after college!n so its not just inlaws! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayscarolina
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I live with my SO's family.  After we move out of here, never.. never again.  I just won't do it. I'd sleep in a cardboard box first.  I had the same problem. So I clean my part of the house, I keep the kitchen and bathroom at an acceptable level of clean, and I mow a square of the yard where our kids' pool goes. Other than that I just let it go.  My problem is that nobody else wants to do anything though.

marissaj125
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:02 AM

ugh i am in the same situation. I clean all the time, but when i do not clean up AFTER somebody else, i get shit for it. like my dad always leaves his dirty plates BY THE SINK and the garbage ON the counter. then he bitches about it being messy. i really want to push him off the roof into a pool of rabid squirrels....

Mommy2twoboyz22
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM

we pay the satellite bill,electric and water and buy all our own food and we cook what we want and she cooks what she wants...she usually eats frozen dinners or something.so we pay 3 bills PLUS me doing all the work i do

Quoting Bmat:

Think of it this way. You are giving her a chance to assert herself. You are making her feel good because she can gripe and feel important.  Murmur that you are sorry and let it go.  Be sure that in addition to doing chores that you are also paying rent and your share of utilities and groceries.  It is just possible that if you don't do these things that she is harboring some unpleasant thoughts about people living off of her- just a thought- and this might be the source of the complaining and lack of thanks. If you aren't paying your share (I mean your family when I say "you") then it might be building up in her. If you already do, then it is probably just a way to assert herself  when her home is being used by others. Be sure to ask her opinion of everything. If you are doing the cooking, ask her what she wants or what she thinks would be good for meals. Remember that it is her home first, and since you are sensing this animosity, make her feel that you understand it is her home and that you are just visitors, but getting her opinion and permission. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)