• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 yr old possible autism

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

my 5 yr old has an appointment with a developmental pediatrician on thursday for an evaluation for possible asd.....he is mildly cognitively delayed and doesnt understand a lot of things. what are some questions i should ask the dr?  im clueless and want to get a headstart on questions so i can be prepared, thanks ladies!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BaileynMe
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:22 AM

BUMP!

momofboys21
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:42 AM

how bad is it, is he talking, there at least 4 different types find out which one he has

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Bring any past evaluations with you.  Did he go to pre school?  Bring anything from there to the appointment too.  Tell the evaluater of any new problems he might be having now cognitively now.  Make sure this is not CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Disorder) where an audiologist can do the test for it.  Kids and adults with this disorder have difficulties with comprehending what they hear in noisy environments and also with math and reading.

okhsmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Quoting emarin77:

Bring any past evaluations with you.  Did he go to pre school?  Bring anything from there to the appointment too.  Tell the evaluater of any new problems he might be having now cognitively now.  Make sure this is not CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Disorder) where an audiologist can do the test for it.  Kids and adults with this disorder have difficulties with comprehending what they hear in noisy environments and also with math and reading.

right on, mama...CAPD is under identified.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I agree. Take any past evaluations with you. Chances are that the pediatrician may send him to a neurologist if he doesn't provide a diagnosis himself.

Does your son have quirks that can be to the point of obession? Does he answer questions when you ask him things? Does he seem distracted with whatever he's doing whenever to try to talk with him?

navywifey2006
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM

he went to preschool this past year, he was evalauated by the school system and i have that report, i do plan on taking it and any other reports i can find. hes had his hearing checked by an audiologist, and that was normal

Quoting okhsmom:

Quoting emarin77:

right on, mama...CAPD is under identified.

navywifey2006
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM

he has a lot of quirks, hes always had an obsession with wrappers from like granola bars, he can answer questions but theyre more like i dont want to or something like that. hes easilly distracted and doesnt comprehend a lot of things.

Quoting GOBryan:

I agree. Take any past evaluations with you. Chances are that the pediatrician may send him to a neurologist if he doesn't provide a diagnosis himself.

Does your son have quirks that can be to the point of obession? Does he answer questions when you ask him things? Does he seem distracted with whatever he's doing whenever to try to talk with him?

mommawombat
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM

When we see a new doctor, I always send a notebook ASAP of everything. 

Appointments letters 

Doctor name, address, phone number and area of speciality, who refer us to them.

Doctor notes

School Work (good and bad)

IEPS

copies of evaluations and questionnaires

test results

therapy notes

The doctors appreciate when they can look over documentation before hand and don't spend the appointment going over everything. My daughter notebook is 3 inches thick and she is 7.

In fact I got to go dig it out because She has an appointment thursday.  ( mine which is the exact copy of those.

I have is divide into categories. so if they have a question there is not a lot of time wasted looking for the information and we are not going into circles seeing the same doctors

Thanks for the reminder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)