Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not ur typical child questions...anyone know how to get rid of.......

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

ants!!!! we had the big black ants..i put out some traps and sprayed and that helped get rid of those..and now we have those tiny little ants in two of our back bedrooms..not in the kitchen where you'd expect them...and it seems like this ant killer isn't doing anything but making them repopulate!! any suggestions ladies?! i'm going to go nuts

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aamy
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Shut the rooms, dont let kids or animals in. Get a bottle of windex and spray where they are. Let it AIR DRY. Do not wipe. They HATE the ammonia in the windex. Then later then they are gone you can wash with soap and water. 

emmiesmommy1109
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I'm right there with you except they are in our kitchen. They keep getting in by our kitchen window. This duplex isn't exactly well built. I mean, it's safe but the roof has several leak spots(a new one just popped up the other day) and the windows aren't sealed very well.

pipers_mom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM

We had that problem at my moms when I was younger, but ours where in the kitchen. You can fill a spray bottle with some dawn dish soap (original kind, 1-2 tbs) and water and spray the ants with it. I'm not sure why but it kills them and as long as you don't wipe it away the ants stay away for the day. You do have to respray everyday for about 2 weeks, but it's safe for the kids and animals and it gets the job done.

heybooboo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM

there is a gel you can get at lowe's that comes in a syringe.  You apply it along their trail line, they then walk through it and take it back to their nest.  It takes about 2 weeks, but it will help get rid of them.  You will also want to spray the outside perimeter of your house, and then along all the baseboards, door and window frames inside your house.  Go through your yard and treat any nests you find.

Hugs,

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I'm going to try that in my bedroom, thanks.

Quoting Aamy:

Shut the rooms, dont let kids or animals in. Get a bottle of windex and spray where they are. Let it AIR DRY. Do not wipe. They HATE the ammonia in the windex. Then later then they are gone you can wash with soap and water. 

joshuasmomma100
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:15 PM

i'll have to try the windex...i'm gonna go nuts soon..my sister and nephew live with us..they get in her bed somehow and bite her...they haven't been able to get in babies crib so that's a plus but i've tried everything from black pepper someone told me to drawing a line with chalk..doesn't work..thanks ladies!

pumpkin_baby86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:19 PM

ive heard feeding them cream of wheat will kill them. they take it too the queen and feed her it then it sucks the water out of her. thus killing her and the colony dies.... i tried it for our yard.. not too sure it if worked.

rriley
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:20 PM
I have had a horrible time with ants. My neighbor gave me some powder stuff to put along the sides of my apartment. I haven't seen one since. I don't remember the name but it is in a black container with a yellow top. Good luck. It took me months before they were finally gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleya1982
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:21 PM

okay, this is going to sound crazy, but it's all natural....coffee grounds,(used) and cream of wheat are ant detourrants. Also there is a cleaner in the store like ajax, but it is called borax, also a natural mineral, that will kill ants and keep them away. if possible, you will want to sprinkle these things outside of your house where the ants are getting in and if you know where they are coming from inside use the cream of wheat to sprinkle inside. DO NOT put the borax where your kids can get it or your pets if you have them.

JuneWestling
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:21 PM

These ants change locations every 20 some odd days. I used home defense from home depot and it works wonders. No ants No spiders No bugs! I'd recommend home defense. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)