Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can two people who have totally opposite beliefs stay together? feeling very uneasy today.. watched Food Inc. last night. (UPDATE in blue)

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM
  • 42 Replies

so that movie upset me, made me wanna become a vegitarien.. can't even spell it.

if you haven't seen it it's a documentary about what they're putting in our food nowadays that they don't want us to know about.. how they treat the animals and the workers and farmers.. it was awful and really depressing.. but everyone should see it.

it made me wanna change what i eat and what i'm feeding my kids BIG TIME, but s/o is so stuck on the food he eats and he's really picky, and he just doesn't care what they're doing to those animals or what those people have to go through for us to have that crap that gives us diseases and makes us fat and gives us early puberty and makes us terribly unhealthy.. 

he said last night during the movie that it's personal responsibility.. that people could choose not to eat those foods, but if i said that i wanted to change what we eat tomorrow, he'd just tell me to goto hell, so where's my personal choice in that? and i can't even begin to understand how he thinks like that, because (and i know this from personal experience) even if your parents raise you on nothing but organic healthy foods.. when you get older you will eat whatever you want, and it will cause health problems, especially because your body isn't used to it.. and if that food was not there to eat than that wouldn't happen. It is not personal responsibility, we rely on the people who make our groceries for us to keep us from harm and they are doing the complete opposite..

upsets me really bad.. when i went to bed after that movie last night i cried, i felt so bad for those poor animals.. and the story about the womans little 2 year old boy who died within twelve days of eating a burger from E- Coli all because the evil food industries refuse to feed their cows anything but CORN!! THAT'S INSANE!! :((

Hey guys. thanks for all your posts.. or at least, most of them LOL. just thought some of you might like to know that i told s/o my plan about changing what we eat in due time, and since (like one of the repliers said) i'm not really changing what we eat, just changing where we get it.. he seemed to be fine with it. so we'll see how it goes. thanks again most of you were a great help.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM

when it comes to something like food yes u can work that out. u dont have to eat the same foods. he can eat his meat u can eat what u want. lots of families live that way

courtneycra
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM
yep ive seen it but what got me was that in every lb of hamburger meat u eat is like 17 different cows, and some could be sick! holy crap barf lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Quoting hailnbray:

when it comes to something like food yes u can work that out. u dont have to eat the same foods. he can eat his meat u can eat what u want. lots of families live that way

I agree, issues with food can be worked out. It is something that can not be forced on to another person, so you wanting to completely change your familys habits is fine for you and your children, but you can not force it on him. He can't force you to not eat how you want either.

tennisgal
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Well I loved that movie and I even began watching it acknowledging that there would be a biased in the movie. I have done a ton of research into the food we eat and where it comes from. I have made a conscious and strenuous effort to feed my family foods that are as close to their source as they come. 

DH doesn't really care how the animals are treated, but he realizes that I am an animal lover. WE both believe God gave man dominion over the animal (aka we like our hamburgers) but I feel we have a responsibility to take care of our animals in an ethical, moral way. In accordance with my beliefs, I searched for a local farmer who is also organic. I drive out to his farm and pick up my order. I can see how the animals are being cared for and I have developed a relationship with this family. We buy our eggs from a friend who has several dozen chickens in his backyard. He has a huge pen and they roam all over with adequate access to food and water whenever they want it. 

We grow lots of our own veggies, but I also shop our farmers' market. You would be hard-pressed to find anything on my shelves that you couldn't pronounce the ingredients of. I use real butter made from organic milk. 

I absolutely do NOT trust the food industry. Their bottom line is NOT the consumer, but how much money they can make from the consumer. I don't leave our food choices and our food decisions up to the food industry. It's my choice, my money, and I will support the causes I deem worthy.

What is stopping you from spending your money more consciously when buying groceries or preparing meals? I handle all of this so DH eats what is on the table or he grabs a bowl of cereal. I haven't changed what we ate, but I have changed what goes in to our food. 

Your DH sees this simply as an emotional response to a movie that was supposed to scare people. It was a wake-up call. I suggest doing your own research and come to your own educated decision before going all hysterical. It has been a life choice to not eat out and to make three meals a day from scratch with nutritious, unprocessed foods. 

Rhiannon1988
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM

but my problem with that really is that he's a big baby and i need his encouragement.. and i wouldn't get it, he'd discourage me so i would make his food for him. makes me angry :|

Quoting othermom:

Quoting hailnbray:

I agree, issues with food can be worked out. It is something that can not be forced on to another person, so you wanting to completely change your familys habits is fine for you and your children, but you can not force it on him. He can't force you to not eat how you want either.

laurenday5
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I personally don't buy anything that isn't organic or humanely treated. I am basically a vegitarian. I do it for health, environmental and political reasons. I refuse to support companies like monsanto, I want to encourage local agriculture and small farmers who employ sustainable farming practices. I do not have any desire to support agribusiness. I also grow my own stuff and compost everything.

If you are the one doing the shopping, you are the one controlling what comes in the house. Eating organic doesn't have to be expensive - you can do a co op program, you can find good deals from local farmers. check out www.localharvest.org - you put in your zip and it gives you all the details. If you have a Trader Joe's near by, you can shop there, too.

tennisgal
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Why do you need his encouragement on what to cook for dinner?? I think you might be making this into a bigger deal than it really is. My passion is feeding my family, knowing where it all comes from and what's in it. But I've never felt the need to ask my husband to support me in my quest. Just do it! Give a more specific example of where a problem would arise. 

Quoting Rhiannon1988:

but my problem with that really is that he's a big baby and i need his encouragement.. and i wouldn't get it, he'd discourage me so i would make his food for him. makes me angry :|

Quoting othermom:

Quoting hailnbray:

baby

baby

baby

Osstie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM

you can buy organic vegetables and find free range organic meat. It's more expensive, but if it's something you really care about I'm sure you could cut back in other areas. Maybe try having one or two vegetarian meals a week. Any little bit helps.

SillyJessi
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Quoting othermom:

Quoting hailnbray:

I made family meals vegetarian.  If he wanted meat, he bought and cooked it himself.  Fair enough, right?

dosthepost
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM

You're making a WAY bigger deal out of this than you need to. Let him eat what he wants, you eat what you eat, and call it a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)