Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wanna get outta my lease!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

I guess I need some reliable legal advice. I signed a 12month lease beginning of March. Since then my water heater leaked all over my apartment for 3 weeks, the carpet grew mold, my car has been broken into and my home has been broken into. The cops told me that having my home broken into should release me from my lease, and I know I signed a paper that if mold was found I had the option of ending my lease. I can't find that anywhere... The power goes out all the time... I'm sick of this ghetto neighborhood. I found a great place but I need to get outta this lease first. The lease says that I have to give 2 months notice and pay an extra month's rent to end my lease. I'm not doing that. I got here because they didn't run a credit check and I needed this to boost my rental history. The other place is willing to rent to me because I have a current lease. They also offered to let me have a co-signer but I don't have anyone to do that for me.

Basically, what can/should I say to the management company (I'm not dealing with my complex's office anymore, I'm gonna go to their bosses) to remind them that these have been unfavorable conditions and that this is not the image they put out and sold me when I signed my lease? How can I protect myself without paying them 3 more months' rent that they don't deserve?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Unless they agree to release you earlier I don't think you can Momma. 

mommawombat
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM

The department of health can help with with calling an unfit home for children to be in. 

okhsmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:53 PM

You've definitely come to the right place for reliable legal advice.  CM is full of legal eagles!  :) anyway, good luck with this. 

HeartsLove
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Well I'm sure there's someone here who's been thru something similar

Quoting okhsmom:

You've definitely come to the right place for reliable legal advice.  CM is full of legal eagles!  :) anyway, good luck with this. 

conniesue88
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I'm pretty sure the military offers free legal help. If you threaten them with a lawyer maybe they will budge. good luck!! i know all of the apt complexes i've been in have been very stern on there leases and the only thing to get you out is the military claus with orders.

La-Belle-Vie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I am not sure.  I do not think breaking into your apartment is adequate enough though.  Do they have a safety door for the front of the building that broke, do you know who broke into your apartment?

It take a lot for an apartment company to let you beak their lease and they will do everything to not let you out of it unless you have a leg to stand on.

Can you go to the rental office and ask for a copy of your WHOLE lease?

okhsmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I know, hope someone is able to help.  I have rental property, but not apartments or condos or whatever.  We've not had anyone break leases, but I am current on my state's laws on my side and the renter's.  If you don't want to damage your credit, I think you should pay the fee to break the lease.  That said, we wouldn't take any renter to court.  We'd just rent it out again.  We have a long waiting list on our house so it wouldn't be an issue.  Maybe its like that in your situation.  Good luck.

Quoting HeartsLove:

Well I'm sure there's someone here who's been thru something similar

Quoting okhsmom:

jesussaves15205
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I am getting help with my rent through chs. We pay a portion and they pay a portion. There are ALOT of things that go on here. I contacted chs and told them all that was happening. I was told that if I am in fear of my safety and the safety of my family I can break my lease. Hope this helps. Do you have a legal aid office where you live that could give you free legal advice?

HeartsLove
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM

The military offers free legal help to the military. I'm not military

Quoting conniesue88:

I'm pretty sure the military offers free legal help. If you threaten them with a lawyer maybe they will budge. good luck!! i know all of the apt complexes i've been in have been very stern on there leases and the only thing to get you out is the military claus with orders.

HeartsLove
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I have a copy of my whole lease. All it says is that they can evict me at any time but I have to give them 3 months' rent before I'm free of them

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

I am not sure.  I do not think breaking into your apartment is adequate enough though.  Do they have a safety door for the front of the building that broke, do you know who broke into your apartment?

It take a lot for an apartment company to let you beak their lease and they will do everything to not let you out of it unless you have a leg to stand on.

Can you go to the rental office and ask for a copy of your WHOLE lease?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)