Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chicken 'n dumplings question

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

So the recipe book I have isnt' always very precise. It tells me to roll out the dumpling dough like pie crust and then cut into squares. How thick should the dough be? I think it's between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch right now; is that too thin, too thick, or just right? I've never made it before. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Idk, I make them by the spoon full.. And mine are about golf ball sized when i drop then in if that helps..

MissiHampt
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Pretty thin....1/8 inch, or so....thin enough that it's kinda hard to handle, lol

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:38 PM

i always just bought the ready made bicuits in the can(the kind you just take out of the can and put on a cookie sheet to cook), rolled each one into a log, and then cut them in about 1/2 inch...circles

BaileynMe
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Haha, so what I'm seeing is that it's more personal preference than anything else? The recipe for the dumplings had eggs, milk, flour, shortening, and a bit of salt, if that makes a difference. I added flour because it wasn't holding up well enough to roll out. 

AuntieV
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM

There are two types of dumplings. Some people like a biscuit type dumpling and others like a what I call a noodle dumpling. Even though they both have many of the same ingredients they are different. Please share the ingredients list and instruction so we can help you better.

okhsmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:58 PM

about 1/4-3/8".  They puff a bit during cooking.  If you opt for a doughy dumpling, cook them longer. 

lundaylove
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:03 PM

i always use the dumpling recipe on the bisquick box. the rest is totally different than most as its a milk broth, not chicken broth. beats any chicken n dumplins ive ever eaten elsewhere.

BaileynMe
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Quoting lundaylove:

i always use the dumpling recipe on the bisquick box. the rest is totally different than most as its a milk broth, not chicken broth. beats any chicken n dumplins ive ever eaten elsewhere.

Maybe next time I'll try that recipe. I just used the one in my cookbook this time, but they came out pretty dense (Maybe from rolling them out? or maybe it was my fault for adding an extra little bit of flour) and they TASTE like dough, not like the broth they cooked in. I know sitting in the pot in the fridge overnight will probably help with the taste, and hopefully with the density too. We'll see! First time I've ever made them. 

AuntieV
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Here is a good drop dumpling recipe for you

You can become an accomplished dumpling maker but the key is to use either soft margarine or butter instead of lard or shortening in your dumpling recipe.

Easy Dumpling Recipe

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of white flour
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 4 tbsp. soft margarine or butter
  • 1 cup of milk (or more)

Method:

1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
  2. Cut in butter that's been kept at room temperature or use soft margarine.
  3. Stir milk lightly into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon and adjust amounts to make sure that you have a moist dumpling dough.

Dumpling Cooking Tips

• Make sure your soup or stew is on a gentle simmer. The liquid does not have to be boiling to achieve tender dumplings. Remember that pot temperature rises with the lid on and you don't want the contents to stick and burn.
  • Drop dumpling dough into the liquid by teaspoonfuls or for larger dumplings use a tablespoon. There's no need to worry about shaping perfect dumplings because they will puff up as they cook. Cover your pot with a lid so that the dumplings can steam.
  • Check your dumplings after 10 minutes. You can use a knife to cut a slit in one dumpling to check inside. Cook until dumplings are no longer raw in the middle. You are now ready to serve your chicken and dumplings or soup and dumplings. Ladle into serving bowls, including a dumpling or two per bowl.

BaileynMe
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Maybe that was why they were so dense. I have to admit, I was a little dubious about using the shortening, but i wasn't sure if I could substitute butter in equal amounts or anything like that. The butter probably would taste better. 

Quoting AuntieV:

Here is a good drop dumpling recipe for you

You can become an accomplished dumpling maker but the key is to use either soft margarine or butter instead of lard or shortening in your dumpling recipe.

Easy Dumpling Recipe

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of white flour
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 4 tbsp. soft margarine or butter
  • 1 cup of milk (or more)

Method:

1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
  2. Cut in butter that's been kept at room temperature or use soft margarine.
  3. Stir milk lightly into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon and adjust amounts to make sure that you have a moist dumpling dough.

Dumpling Cooking Tips

• Make sure your soup or stew is on a gentle simmer. The liquid does not have to be boiling to achieve tender dumplings. Remember that pot temperature rises with the lid on and you don't want the contents to stick and burn.
  • Drop dumpling dough into the liquid by teaspoonfuls or for larger dumplings use a tablespoon. There's no need to worry about shaping perfect dumplings because they will puff up as they cook. Cover your pot with a lid so that the dumplings can steam.
  • Check your dumplings after 10 minutes. You can use a knife to cut a slit in one dumpling to check inside. Cook until dumplings are no longer raw in the middle. You are now ready to serve your chicken and dumplings or soup and dumplings. Ladle into serving bowls, including a dumpling or two per bowl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)