Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pre-diabetics or those with type 2........ suggestions?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:56 PM
  • 4 Replies

I had GD while pregnant with Erin.  I know it means I am more likely to develop type 2.  I know I have  risk factors....45....family with it...and the GD.  so every so often I check my numbers.  Well it looks as if I am now prediabetic.  My fasting number is high as is my after meal numbers if I eat any of the whites( bread, flour, sugar) Of course I will be tested fully by Dr but was kinda of expecting it sooner or later. :(

My question for you mommas is what do you eat to help lower or regulate your blood sugar?

I would love to nip this in the bud with just diet and of course exercise.  I already walk 5-6 miles a day up and down hills. I am not overweight.

I researched some and went to the store today and here is what I got so far cinnamon, camomile tea, white tea, whole organic oats, blue and strawberries, fish, shrimp, walnuts, flax seed.  the teas are new the flax is new the cinnamon is new and whole oats are new but the rest is typical for me already.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 4:56 AM

Look up "low glycemic index diet."  It's basically no sugar, no refined flour, no white rice, no white potatoes. 

Good luck!

TOMBOI
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 5:06 AM
I do lemon juice 2 tsp..or apple cider vinegar 2tsp 2x a day..in a full glass of water...usually @ lunch an dinner...also I walk 1hr 5x a wk instead of 30 min...everyone from my ggrama,granpa,aunts,uncles,cousins,dad all have it...had GD was a concern during last pregn...also monitor your blood pressure an cholesterol..they play major role in diabetes..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Look up "low glycemic index diet."  It's basically no sugar, no refined flour, no white rice, no white potatoes. 

Good luck!

Thanks yeah I have seen that now I can't handle any of the whites!!  What really is worrying me is I really don't eat much of them to begin with KWIM??  I would feel like I have a better chance reversing the pre-diabetes if I was overweight, non-exercising, and ate like crap but thats the opposite of me so I worry that its as low as it can go.  I will sure look at your suggestion though thanks!!!

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Quoting TOMBOI:

I do lemon juice 2 tsp..or apple cider vinegar 2tsp 2x a day..in a full glass of water...usually @ lunch an dinner...also I walk 1hr 5x a wk instead of 30 min...everyone from my ggrama,granpa,aunts,uncles,cousins,dad all have it...had GD was a concern during last pregn...also monitor your blood pressure an cholesterol..they play major role in diabetes..

Thanks I will give that a try.  I walk an hour a day 5-6 miles up and down hills, cholesterol is actually low and blood pressure is good.  Thanks for the suggestion I hadn't heard of maybe I could put the lemon in my white tea or camomile??  Do you think it would matter.  I read those two teas help also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)