• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Pap

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

http://www.drbarnthousegyn.com/Pages/MJB-HaloBreastPapTest.html

HALO is a five-minute noninvasive test that can help determine your risk of breast cancer years earlier than a mammogram. Simply put, it’s the quickest, easiest way to give your doctor a heads-up, and you a head start.

How does the HALO Breast Pap Test Work?
HALO combines warmth, massage and suction to bring nipple aspirate fluid (NAF) to the surface. NAF is found in the milk ducts where 95% of all breast cancers originate. The entire cycle is five minutes and is easily incorporated into your well-woman visit. If you produce fluid, the sample is then sent to the lab and analyzed for cellular changes.

Like the Cervical Pap test, HALO is not a diagnostic test and it cannot be used to exclude breast cancer. Patients should continue to undergo other clinical breast screening procedures (mammography, clinical breast examination, self breast examination) as determined by and with their physicians.

What do you ladies think? Worth the $100? I think it is!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ShirreeM
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Absolutely!! I just lost my mom to breast cancer in April. I will do any test to prevent getting that horrible disease! Thanks for posting this. I am going to pass this on to my sisters!

Mama2ETA
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I found a lump this past wednesday, so i am researching because they said they suspect a lymphnode but cant say for sure, but its not a cyst. i am getting a call from my dr tomorrow, and im going to ask him about this. im 23 but maybe with these circumstances he'll do it?

AuntieV
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Like the Cervical Pap test, HALO is not a diagnostic test and it cannot be used to exclude breast cancer. Patients should continue to undergo other clinical breast screening procedures (mammography, clinical breast examination, self breast examination) as determined by and with their physicians.

Sounds like just another way for doctors to make money. They do this test just to see if they can extract the fluid. IF fluid is extracted then they send it off for testing and more $$$$. Chances are they are still going to order a mammogram and or other tests that will do the same thing.

Mama2ETA
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:52 PM

This is more commonly used on women between 25 and 40 though, that arent scheduled to get routine mammograms. If you felt something weird in your vagina you would go to the dr who would do a pap....isnt this the same thing? A vaginal pap wont diagnose you with cervical cancer, but it is a tool to help you find out if you need further testing. I guess I just think it's worth it, because of my situation, and because my aunt just got into remission for breast cancer last year. So I think i would rather know that i have a chance at beating the damn thing. Im also one to say i would pay for genetic testing if i had the money, if i had the gene, id get a mastectomy.

Quoting AuntieV:

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Sounds like just another way for doctors to make money. They do this test just to see if they can extract the fluid. IF fluid is extracted then they send it off for testing and more $$$$. Chances are they are still going to order a mammogram and or other tests that will do the same thing.

AuntieV
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Im also one to say i would pay for genetic testing if i had the money, if i had the gene, id get a mastectomy.

Me too! I have history with Great Grandmother on Father's side and Grandmother and Mother on Mom's side.

RubysMommy
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:14 AM

what if you don't rpoduce breast fluid??? It said if....

Mama2ETA
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM

There is a video on the website. It said that if you dont produce breast fluid, you arent at a higher risk.

Quoting RubysMommy:

what if you don't rpoduce breast fluid??? It said if....

Mama2ETA
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:33 AM

BUMP!

Mama2ETA
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Bump once more
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)