Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help the idiot! A camping virgin! Added another question!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay, so I want to take my ds (4yo) camping.  Here's why I'm an idiot!  I have little idea of what I'll need!  I've never camped in a tent.  With that being said,  I need a tent, sleeping stuff, clothes, etc.  I know the basics, but what do I do about food?  I don't have any sort of portable grill and cannot really afford one yet.  What sort of food should I bring (weekend long trip) that doesn't need refrigeration and how do I cook it?  We can't have a fire (like a bonefire or firepit) since we are going to a fire protected area.  Do I have to buy a grill?  Is there any other way?  Any ideas are appreciated!!!  Oh, and anything else I need to bring that may seem obvious to you, but remember, I'm a camping virgin!

What are some fun ideas for the evening, after it's too dark to walk around?  I will buy a stove of some sort as it seems that there is no way to not have one!  So, other than smores, what can we do?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my3littleboys
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Do you have a cooler that's keeps stuff cold for a few days, if so you could do sandwiches. Otherwise yes you need some type of grill if you can't cook on a firepit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paranoiacomplex
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:04 AM

ooooh wow...Okay well you'll need either a grill or a camp stove if  you want to cook or warm anything up. You'll also need a cooler with ice packs to keep stuff cool.  You can buy dehydrated meals at sheels/bass pro shops or bring stuff like bread and spam anything shelf stable (canned goods). You''ll also need to bring some dishes, or at least paper plates and platic sliverware. Make sure you have a flashlight or two (great for night time bathroom trips) maybe even a karosene lantern (or a battery opperated lantern).  Bug spray is a must.  You may want to bring toilet paper/paper towels just incase.  Wet wipes to clean your hands, or some hand sanatizer...that's all I can think of for now.

paranoiacomplex
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Oh yes!  make sure you bring jackets/sweatshirts in case it gets cold at night.

rash232
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:10 AM
Don't forget an extra blanket incase someone needs extra warmth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AuntieV
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Google backpacking supplies to find out how they pack food and cook. To be honest this sounds like a lot to take on with a 4 year old and a camping virgin. Who will be going with you?

rash232
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM
Don't forget extra padding for under ur sleeping bag. If ur not used to the hard ground ur gonna need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katieschroeder
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Thank you so much!  A couple things there I hadn't thought of yet!

Quoting paranoiacomplex:

Oh yes!  make sure you bring jackets/sweatshirts in case it gets cold at night.

katieschroeder
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:26 AM

It will be a lot.  It will just be me and him.  My dh doesn't want to go.  The great thing about going with a 4 yo is that he won't care what happens, as long as he has a full belly, a place to sleep and room to run!  I have a feeling that we'll do a LOT of laughing at me and how lame it is that I don't know how to camp!  Gotta start somewhere, right!?!

Quoting AuntieV:

Google backpacking supplies to find out how they pack food and cook. To be honest this sounds like a lot to take on with a 4 year old and a camping virgin. Who will be going with you?

katieschroeder
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:27 AM

I actually have a futon that someone gave me!  I aired it out and bought/washed a new cover for it too! 

Quoting rash232:

Don't forget extra padding for under ur sleeping bag. If ur not used to the hard ground ur gonna need it.

Lomere
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I know you're probably thought of this, but make sure to take extra gallons of water, and a first aid kit.  You just never know... also, sunscreen & bugspray (as mentioned before), and perhaps a hand-fan or two?

Make sure to take extra zip-lock bags in your cooler, to keep opened food well contained.  If you can, plan on keeping your cooler locked up in your vehicle, or in your tent when you sleep, because racoons are known for getting into coolers at night, and raiding all of your food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)