Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to do for a vomiting child?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

My 2 year old spent the weekend with her grandparents.  Last night she started vomiting at about 1 am.  Well her grandparents tried to give her apple juice this morning and she threw it up.  Then they tried ice chips and she apparently threw that up too or gagged on it or something.  So they are bringing her home now and hubby is out getting pedialite.  So if she really can't keep liquids down how long should I wait to take her to the doc? Can I keep trying liquids for the morning and if she still can't keep them down take her in, wait longer and keep trying or what?  I have never had a child not able to keep water down. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM

BUMP!

vegepunkstr
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:42 AM

She needs to drink it slowly, a sip every now and then and she will be more likely to get fluids through her system

vegepunkstr. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

bnj03
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I would call her doctor and see what they say. With that being said my step-mom (who is an RN) always told me to try pedilite with DD and if she threw it up try again 30 minutes after she last threw up but if there isn't 30 min in between to take her in because she could get dehydrated.

phillipsa80
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:47 AM
Maybe try an anti-nausea medicine(call doc for ones that are suitable for your child) once children throw up once, they are more likely to keep throwing up. Something to do w/ gag reflex. Hope she feels better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM

If you want to keep her from going to the dr needlessly.  Any time she throws up, wait 30 min - an hour and give her small sips after that time.  Also if DH can get her the pedialyte popsicles or any kind of popsicles they will help get her fluids in but slower than a cup.  If she vomits more than 5 times in an hour definitely take her to the doctor.   Dont force her to drink when she doesnt feel good.

I am giving this advice presuming she doesnt have any other health issues going on that could get worse by her having a stomach bug.

lisacp25
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I have always bought clear Pedialite and mixed it with apple juice. Only give her a few tablespoons every hour or so. As long as she is getting something to help hydrate her. Too much and she will just vomit again. Watch for signs of dehydration..lethargy, no tears, not wetting her diapers at all, if she does her urine will probably smell strong and maybe darker in color...pull her skin and if it holds shape she is getting dehydrated. After awhile try BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce or juice and toast/unsalted crackers. Watch for fever too. If she vomits for more than 24 hours I would call your pediatrician and see what they think.

ajmlaa
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM

my son had the same thing a week ago. then i got it. avoid taking her to the doc unless you see something serious. its probably a one day event

Mom2Jade08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Give her a spoonful of liquid and wait to see if she holds it... If she does then give her another spoonful... I have gone through that with my little girl, it might be a 24 hour bug... Has she had diarrhea?

heybooboo
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM

we always used the rule that no fluids or food for at least an hour after vomitting.  Then we start with a teaspoon of pedialyte every 5-15 minutes depending on how the child is doing.  After an hour we increase it to sipping as preferred.

What you want to watch for are her diapers, or if she is potty trained is she using the potty regularly.  If it has been more than 8-12 hours without a wet diaper or a need to potty then take her in.  

If it is the rotovirus that is really bad lately, it may take her a few days to a week to get over it.  Your Dr can prescribe an anti-nausea med for her.  Just be forewarned, you will still most likely have to deal with diarhea but at least you will then get fluids into her.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 AM

a spoonful of diluted and chilled gatorade or pedialyte and see if she can keep it down. If she throws up repeatedly and can't keep fluids down then call the doctor at least by then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)