Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please open if your child is on medication...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM
  • 21 Replies

Red is on Adderall and Risperidone. DH is fighting with his BM right now because she refuses to put him on Concerta instead of the mixture he is on now. She says it costs too much for the Concerta alone, and the mixture is cheaper. Well, Red has become extremely aggressive since starting the Adderall (he attacked his great grandpa, DH, me, Monkey and the boy next door just within two days time of being on the new medication.) He is like a possessed child and goes nuts if someone gets close to him. He also had three hours of just sitting in his room screaming and crying (while playing like it wasn't happening). DH has medical rights to the child (he has joint custody), but BM and the doctor refuse to follow the law here.

Now, we're going to be fighting with them in court, but I need to know if BM is being truthful about the Concerta being more than the mixture. I am having difficulties finding information on the web because of how controlled Adderall is. It has gotten to the point where DH is willing to pay for the medication alone just to get Red back to his normal self and not harm other people. I also need to know so that if we get custody I know what I'm getting into with the medical bills.

Anyone else have kids on ANY of these medications? Can you tell me the price WITHOUT insurance and what pharmacy that is? BM currently uses WalGreens.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kenre
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM

At least bump?

JADIEBUG
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM

You can just call Walgreens and ask. I have done that for different drugs. You can even call other pharmacies and price compare to have a list to show it could be cheaper.

Rileyscute
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM

My son is on risperdal..it really depends on the insurance, right now because we hit our limit, his scrip is about 80 dollars, and yes that's the generic

mamabear8869
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I don't know about the other meds, but a 30 day supply (60 pills) of adderall 10 mg. (the generic, because can't afford the name brand) here is 70 bucks.  I will say, it sounds somethings else is going on, like maybe he needs a non-stimulant, because both my boys take the adderall, and don't have the problems you mentioned, (knoock on wood) so far....

Im a vaxing, circumsizing, Formula feeding (when they still took bottles, and after trying for at least 2weeks) forward-facing at 1 year and 20 lbs. supporter, CIO, non co-sleeping/bedding, anti-antiobiotcs for every little sniffle, house is totally lived in dirty but clean enough, pro-choice, thinks religion is a completely silly concept, do whatever you think is best for you and yours as I will mine,  mama who loves my family more than words can express

Kenre
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Thank you. He is on Medical Assistance through the government.

DH just got an email from BM saying that they will switch him to the Concerta, but she says that DH has to pay his half and it'll be 200$ for a month's supply. She wants the money now as well.

She has tried to get DH to pay for things before that were free on MA. She told DH he had to pay 120 for Red's glasses last summer. I called up the state, though, and they said that glasses for children under 18 are free with MA. He told her he wasn't paying HER 120 for free glasses.

JADIEBUG
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Is that like Medicaid? If it is then she should not have any copay for prescriptions. Last time I checked Medicaid paid for all prescribed drugs. I think she is scamming your DH.

Quoting Kenre:

DH just got an email from BM saying that they will switch him to the Concerta, but she says that DH has to pay his half and it'll be 200$ for a month's supply. She wants the money now as well.

She has tried to get DH to pay for things before that were free on MA. She told DH he had to pay 120 for Red's glasses last summer. I called up the state, though, and they said that glasses for children under 18 are free with MA. He told her he wasn't paying HER 120 for free glasses.

sarahbearamommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM
You can get the doctor to make the meds medically necessary.. This way the insurance can approve them at no cost to you since he's on MA. I work with 2 ppl on state MA and they do it for my patients blood pressure medications. The insurance company just needs the dr to certify it's necessary and I guarantee you they will cover it all.

Quoting Kenre:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
guzman314
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM

If he is on medicaid, all of his meds are free.  My kids are on medicaid and my daughter takes risperidol, zoloft and claratin.  Both my son and daughter were on concerta two years ago and they were free as well.  I have known several kids that were violent when on aderarol but nut on concerta.  risperidol is supposed to be a mood stabilizer so that they aren't violent.

On another note, they thought my daughter was adhd but she wasn't, they adhd meds made her more hyper.  Her councelor said that adhd symptoms could be a sign of anxiety.  They starter her on the zoloft for depression and anxiety and she is doing alot better and is less violent.

sarahbearamommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM
Oh and the doctor just has to state that other generic meds are not working, this is enough for it to be certified. It can be done.. Don't let her scam you at all. 200 a month for just your dh's half is assanine!!!

Quoting sarahbearamommy:

You can get the doctor to make the meds medically necessary.. This way the insurance can approve them at no cost to you since he's on MA. I work with 2 ppl on state MA and they do it for my patients blood pressure medications. The insurance company just needs the dr to certify it's necessary and I guarantee you they will cover it all.

Quoting Kenre:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canthaveboys1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM

The Adderall for my oldest is $90 and Risperdal is $70. I hope they get it figured out for you. I just cant believe BM would allow this to continue to save money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)