Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

symptoms of teething *update*

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM
  • 7 Replies

are symptoms of teething and a cold the same?

Hunter is cranky, nothing will calm her, shes chewing on everything, had a fever last night, runny nose, pulling her ears. I already talked to the dr about the ears because i had thought she had an ear infection and she checked and her ears were clear...

so what are the symptoms of a teething baby?

update: i called the dr because she developed a cough that sounds like a dry cough coming from her chest, she is wheezing now and her eyes began watering. they didnt have any slots open tonight but want me to call at 7 in the morning to get an early slot. i hope its nothing serious. im just really worried becuase shes my 1st baby and my little siter never went through this except teething and plus i am not my little sisters mom...i will update again tomorrow when i can. Thanks for all the advice ladies i appreciate it. and thank you for not being mean to a new mommy

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaBedore
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM
Yea theyre pretty much the same... Fever, runny nose, cranky, etc.... We've been giving our son Hyland's Teething Tablets... They're homeopathic and they work great.. Better than orajel... Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kerijeanbean
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Evey baby is different, but the general symptoms can be any of the following.  Crabby, low grade fever (nothing above 100), chewing on everything, drooling, runny nose, either wanting to eat a lot or not much, sleeping a lot or not sleeping well, pulling at ears.  All of these symptoms can also be symptoms of a cold or ear infection.  Since you already know it is not his ears I would say it is probably teething.

Teething symptoms can start anywhere from months before a tooth ever erupts or a few hours before it pops through.  Hopefully it is just teething and not the beginning of something more serious.  Get some Hylands teething tablets they are absolutely wonderful. 

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:26 PM

About the same. My kids had the drool from hell, crankiness, chewing on everything and snotty nose. The dentist tried to tell me that the snot was a sign of a secondary infection but if that were the case it wouldn't have stopped as soon as the tooth popped through. For my kids the snotty nose and ear tugging stopped usually with in 12 hours of the tooth popping through. Hope this helps.

Try giving her a damp washcloth with an ice cube in it to chew on. Or you can take a clean washcloth, tie a knot in one end, get it wet and freeze it. Then give it to her to chew on. I was told under no circumstances rub alcohol on the gums. First it doesn't work and second babies can't metabolize even that small amount of alcohol.

chefmartha2004
Morita-Michelle
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM

BUMP!

jays4eternity
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Yep sounds like teething. My 5 mo is in the process. I know he is sleeping because he's doing it just like his brother. He sleeps a lot during the day and then at night if he is really fussy at bed time i know to look in his mouth the next day. He won't chew on anything other than his soft toys even though he has teething things. I've been told by several people to never use the baby orajel because it can numb their whole mouth and could make them choke. So i've just stayed away from it because that just scares the poopoo out of me

dosthepost
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:00 PM

NO. The ONLY symptoms of teething are pain, irritability, and...well... teeth. I have had 3 pedi's tell me the same thing... they're SICK of people spreading around that it's okay to have a fever, runny nose, or diarrhea b/c of teething... why, you ask? B/c instead of getting these problems taken care of, parents are chalking it up to "teething", and their kids end up sicker. 

If your child has a fever, take her to the doctor.

jays4eternity
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:14 AM

You aren't right but you are also not wrong, if that makes sense. Dr's can't agree that those are also symptoms. They do recommened that if your baby has a fever for more than two days to bring them in. Studies have shown that babies that are teething have been reported as having cold like symptoms, ie cough, fever, runny nose and looser stool than normal. Both of my boys (1 is currently teething) showed these signs when they were teething. They weren't irritable, they just slept a lot, drooled a ton and chewed on things before the tooth popped through.

Quoting dosthepost:

NO. The ONLY symptoms of teething are pain, irritability, and...well... teeth. I have had 3 pedi's tell me the same thing... they're SICK of people spreading around that it's okay to have a fever, runny nose, or diarrhea b/c of teething... why, you ask? B/c instead of getting these problems taken care of, parents are chalking it up to "teething", and their kids end up sicker. 

If your child has a fever, take her to the doctor.

Heather Asbury

Live*Love*Laugh

I'm a SAHM, waiting on my hubby & kids hand & foot, over protective, will be home schooling, opinionated will fight for what i believe in MOM!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)