Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sand-like poo *UPDATE* IN COLOR

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:47 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hello!

Zoey (17 months) is still constantly sick (high fevers of 104.8 almost weekly)  and I actually have to take her to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola next Monday.

Hopefully they will finally find out what has been wrong with her! It's wearing both her and I out..

Anywho...

The past few weeks she has had "sandy" poop which is extremely hard to wipe off..I actually have to rinse her off with water, because just like sand: there is no other way to get it off her skin (esp. w/o scrapping her little behind )!

It's soft stool, not diahrrea..and in it are tiny black specs that feel and look just like sand.

I've paid attention to her diet, and I don't think it's a certain food that is triggering it...However, it could possibly be a food or gluten allergy??????

Any of you moms out there have experience with this?

I have lab orders and and all the containers to collect her stool. I will have answers soon, I hope..but I am just so puzzled as to what could be the culprit of this..

Looking forward to hearing from you :-)

Thanks in advance!

Well, we had our appointment at Sacred Heart/ Nemours Children's Hospital in Pensacola today.

And the docotor suspects CELIAC SPRUE...so, tomorrow we are off to do blood work. Should get results in about 2 weeks from now.

Zoey was sick again last week and wouldn't eat/drink properly, therefore I haven't been able to get the stool lab done.

That's it for now...Hopefully we are on the right track now..although I really don't want her to have celiac disease, I'd prefer to know who/what were fighting!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilGina
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM

i tried looking it up for you and everything i saw was its a allergy to gluten which would stink cause 90% of things have gluten in them I see you wrote that in your question so I am assuming that has already crossed your mind

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I hope she gets better soon~ Poor thing! Here is a bump I have no idea! Good Luck!

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Awww, I'm so sorry your little one is sick!  As far as sandy poo...I've seen it many times in my daycare and I've often wondered why it's like that.  I've never been able to figure it out.  Please keep us posted on Zoey!   ((((hugs and prayers)))

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Please let us know what you find out.

Mama_of_two123
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:30 PM
Has she eaten blueberries?? That happens to my DD whenever she eats bluberries :o) GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShirreeM
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Cheerios caused sandy poop in my son. Has she eaten cheerios??

mommawombat
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:14 PM

A quick trick to get the pooh off is use shaving cream or lotion to get it off. It works also with dry pooh.

kerijeanbean
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Does it look like sand or like coffee grounds?  If it looks like coffee grounds you need to get her to a doctor now and not wait for an appointment.

SimplyPeggy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM

as described in my post, they are tiny black specs that feel like sand.

i know where you are going with this....possibly could be blood..right? i know :(

she was seen by the doc on saturday and was given the lab order. now i just need to collect her poo and bring it to the lab.

i was going to do that today, but then some of the roads where closed off (because michelle obama was here this afternoon)..and i couldn't go. but i will as soon as she poops again!

and guess what?! zoey has 103 fever again tonight..*ugh* she vomited also...poor baby..i cannot wait to find the cause of all this.. my sweet baby girl..:-(

thank you ALL for the kind words and well wishes!!!

Quoting kerijeanbean:

Does it look like sand or like coffee grounds?  If it looks like coffee grounds you need to get her to a doctor now and not wait for an appointment.

rhianonmat
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Not to scare you... but unless you're feeding her foods with black seeds like strawberries or kiwifruit...

Those black specks are most likely blood. The "sandy stool" is pretty typical of celiac. 

Unfortunately, the celiac blood panel is notorious for false negatives at her age. 

Try removing gluten from her diet.  It takes a bit of planning, but it's not hard.  Try a gluten free diet for 2 weeks.  Within that time frame you should see an improvement if it's gluten-related. 

Trying to diagnose celiac can take years... but doing the elimination diet only takes 2 weeks. 

PM me if you'd like some links/info.  I'd be glad to share.

Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)