Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keep your kid in line!!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:30 PM
  • 28 Replies

So my DS is 20 mo and in baby gymnastics, today there were about 8 kids there (finally! usually it's only 1-2 other kids).... it's a mommy & me class guided by a gymnast. very fun.

one kid there was about 2 1/2 years old. the class is supposed to be from 18 months to 2 1/2 but one little girl was there with her older sister who is regularly enrolled in the class she's 14 months old and tiny, but a sweetie.... she is enrolled in the school just not usually that class (they make exceptions and allow group switching if needed....) so the older girl rams into the tny girl and crushes her into the wall! Her little head banged into the wall! She started to cry.... and the big girls mom just shrugged and ignored it.

There was a little boy there with his twin and gma & gpa, the big girl shoved him and he fell down then she body slammed him. she flopped down on top of his head!!! OMG!!! Mom just said "kids will be kids" gpa soothed the boy and every one was trying to get their kid to avoid hers....

My DS is a loving kid. He was playing and doing his flips and even hugged a couple of kids. The big girl runs over and smacks him on his back (for no reason!!!) DS turned and walked away. She ran up to him, jumped in front of him and smacked him in the face! OMG! My DS runs to me (even as I am coming up) with fear written all over his face!

He plays with much bigger kids, who are NOT gentle all the time. He is not afraid... but this girl was just smacking him for no reason! So I held him and told the girl, "No! You have to be nice.  we don't hit. You can hug, but No hitting."

Her mom finally gets off of her a$$ and comes over.... only to tell me how dare I to tell her kid what to do, and I had no right. I told her to keep her kid in line. She's running amok and SMACKING and pounding all of the little kids in the class. The Mom was like, well kids will be kids. I told her NO. Your kid will NOT be hitting my kid.  She was not pleased. But I don't care. I couldn't believe that she would NOT do anything as her kid is bullying everyone else!

What would you have done? The teacher was studiously ignoring it.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momcat437
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Get the other parents together and all of you speak to the teacher--she sounds like she's intimidated by that mom, and something needs to be done!  You certainly aren't the only mom with this problem...

mamacdzte
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Mama I would have done that same thing, I would try to ask the mom to control her child, if that didn't work talk to the teacher, maybe the mom needed a time out for being lazy.

blue-star31
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I would have been less nice. I would have said, your child just smacked mine right in the face, and you better do something about it "NOW". If she gave me lip, I would have called CPS on her butt for allowing her child to hurt the younger kids in the class.

Tranla
by Elisabeth on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:39 PM

You did the right thing by confronting her, but I agree with the PP about getting together with the other parents to talk to the teacher about this issue.

CafeMom Tickers
Love2Bugs
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Thats just NOT right. Thats a LAZY parent right there ! i would have done what you did. If a kid is hurting my child im sorry but im going to say something if you dont. On my 2 year olds 2nd day of dance class there was a lil boy in there he was a bit smaller but he was at the door screaming and crying for his mom the ENTIRE class (its a 45 min class) and torwards the end like the last 10 mins Kaylee being the loving lil girl she is stands next to him and asks him whats wrong he pushed her. I looked at his mom who started laughing, so i let it slide hes angry and shes in his space so he pushed, fine w.e. BUT then he started to attack her smaking her in the face and pushing her i looked at his mom who is STILL laughing so i ran in there grabed my kaylee and told him NO HITTING she came in after me and grabed him and left the room. Of course this only being the SECOND class for Kaylee was scared out of her mind. She finally went back to doing her business and i left the room sat back down and then the mom FINALLY says "im sorry" i just gave her a smirk and kept watching my kaylee ..... He hasnt returned to class since then and this was in januaryish

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I would have told the kid to keep their hands off my kids.  And I would have complained to the teacher after the first time she hurt someone.  I hate kids/parents like that!

Bonnie
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Yikes! Good for you to speak up!

JuJu389
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I would've done the exact same thing! you had every right! if she didnt like it she should have did exactly what you said and kept her kid in line! if my ds ran around hitting people i would instantly correct him and let him know that thats not nice!

MarShy740
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM

I would of done the same thing you did!

Cassidysmom611
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I agree about saying something because the girl should NOT be hitting any other child for any reason, but don't you think calling CPS would be a little extreme?

Quoting blue-star31:

I would have been less nice. I would have said, your child just smacked mine right in the face, and you better do something about it "NOW". If she gave me lip, I would have called CPS on her butt for allowing her child to hurt the younger kids in the class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)