Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep Positioners

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi! I am a first time mom. My baby is 2 months old. I had a cousin who passed away from SIDS, so I am extra paranoid about it. I was wondering what your opinions about sleep positioners are. My baby is currently sleeping in a pack n play in our bedroom. She is a little wiggle worm, and likes to wiggle her way to the sides of it. I don't like her being so close to the edges. How do you guys keep your babies from moving around so much. Also have any of you tried the SIDS moniter or moniters similar to it. Do they work? Thanks!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I did use one when DD was newborn for her reflux actually.  It had a wedge attached but once she started moving around I took it out.  Have you thought of setting up crib in your room so she has more room when she wiggles.  You wouldn't want anything in there she could get up against and re-breathe her expelled air.  Also momma studies show a fan circulating the air in room and pacis help lower the risk.

Also they have mesh crib bumpers.  I haven't used them cause Erin didn't really get good and moving around till she was older.

dosthepost
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:08 PM

If you're paranoid about SIDS, then skip the positioner. They've been known to cause SIDS.

sallymoon
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I used a positioner for a short while until I discovered this, then it was gone.  I was able to get an insanely awesome deal on an Angelcare monitor, so I used it for the few times my son actually would sleep in his crib.  It went off once when he scooted too close to the edge of the crib and the monitor couldn't sense him.

Quoting dosthepost:

If you're paranoid about SIDS, then skip the positioner. They've been known to cause SIDS.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

aanddplus2
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Quoting dosthepost:

especially if she's a squirmer...not sure about anything else. I did however used to work in a nurning home and they had these bed alarms that if the resident (anyone with a fall risk) would sit up in bed or get out of bed the alarm would go off alerting someone to go assist them. You could probably use something similiar to that if you're worried about her getting too close to the sides of the play pen. Maybe they have something like that........or maybe that's what you're talking about. I really don't know. I was too paranoid to sleep for more than a couple hours anyway....I was constantly poking my babies and making them move to make sure they were ok.

kriket2004
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:33 PM

my nephew died of sids and like you i was very paranoid.  i did buy a sleep positioner and until he was about 6 months he slept very good in it.  if you buy one the key is to make sure it is very snug and to give them no wiggle room cuz then she will get out of it...but for me personally it worked very well for both of my children

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)